Practice

Thinking a bit further I find all playing is, in a way, practice. If I’m performing (not on my Uke) it’s also a practice session because you notice what you could have played slightly better, what came across well as a result of practice and ways in which you could alter other things that you do to help you deliver better music.
You bring up a good point here Graham. For some of us the ukulele is part of the package and there is a lot more that needs to be worked on. I need to practice my ukulele for sure, but I also need to practice singing the songs, I work on my presentation, and there is no way to practice stage presence without getting on stage. So as you say, in essence that is practice too, getting up and putting it all together.

Just wondering how often and for how long do other beginners practice?
At the moment it's every day for an hour or more for me. But I'm right at the start of things.

The thread continues to prompt my own thoughts on practice and two points come to my mind that might be a help to someone. Of course YMMV.

I’ve noticed that I’ll pick up an instrument and happily play it if the ‘music’ played is easy and / or familiar. Once started I’m likely to move onto more difficult things but the most important thing done is the retention of familiarity and comfort with the instrument; the second most import thing done is that I’ve started to play and might then do some focused work. So ensure that you’re never overfaced by the instrument and target yourself at enjoying what you do over all other things; improvement will follow by itself if, within what’s still fun, you add small amounts of structure and focus.

The Uke is, as I’ve already said elsewhere, not my first instrument and not the one I play best. However playing the Uke has helped me to play other instruments better and playing other instruments has helped me to play the Uke better. So, for want of a better expression, ‘cross training’ is helpful.

Last edited:
Once in a while I go back to some of the stuff that used to baffle me in the beginning. It's a nice way to check your progress.

Well the response from this question has helped me. In reality I don't do one one hour straight. Because I'm now retired I'm lucky in that I can keep picking my Uke up at times up through the day which I imagine would equate to around an hour. I'm happy that my chord changing is improving but I'm very consous of being very linear and lacking rhythm. I'm hoping that will come. It's small steps

Thanks for this thread. I haven't touched my ukes in a LONG time. Been too busy with life and 2 jobs. I often download all the resources out there and I download songs, etc - but then I have so much I get overwhelmed and I don't know where to start.

Uncle Rod, again, thanks for your Boot Camp stuff. I have downloaded it all again and I will start going through it today. I am going to use it solely until I have worked through it.

Thanks for this thread. I haven't touched my ukes in a LONG time. Been too busy with life and 2 jobs. I often download all the resources out there and I download songs, etc - but then I have so much I get overwhelmed and I don't know where to start.
Anyone ever get all excited about something, download tons of resources to get ready to take yourself to the next level, then look at it and then say to yourself, "nope, that just looks like way too much work"? That's me.

Anyone ever get all excited about something, download tons of resources to get ready to take yourself to the next level, then look at it and then say to yourself, "nope, that just looks like way too much work"? That's me.

Um . . . yeah! Do it way too often! Ukulele, alto recorder, knitting, yada, yada, yada.

It's lots of fun to find the resources but way too much work to wade through all the resources!!!:uhoh::rofl:

Once in a while I go back to some of the stuff that used to baffle me in the beginning. It's a nice way to check your progress.

Absolutely, and this time of year I'm dusting off those Christmas tunes and discovering how I can play them that bit better than last year, incorporating some of the skills I've developed during the year.

When I first got my uke, I didn't have much going on in my life sadly, so I would practice about 6 hours a day. Sometimes it would reach 10 hours haha. Definitely made for fast improvement! But man did my back hurt.

As far as time goes I generally do 20 minute sessions as many times as you as I can get in. Generally it comes out to be 2+ hours. One day a week I back off to no more than an hour to give my hands a break. At 62 I feel it when I overdo anything.
I like to use a metronome for faster, technically challenging pieces. I'll start a good 20-25 beats slower and over the course of a week or two speed up to the desired tempo.
Be patient and have fun.

As far as time goes I generally do 20 minute sessions as many times as you as I can get in. Generally it comes out to be 2+ hours. One day a week I back off to no more than an hour to give my hands a break. At 62 I feel it when I overdo anything.
I like to use a metronome for faster, technically challenging pieces. I'll start a good 20-25 beats slower and over the course of a week or two speed up to the desired tempo.
Be patient and have fun.

That's a good idea! :)

Interesting thread. As a long-time bass player, practising that instrument has become so ingrained in my life that I hardly second-guess it. Although there is always the choice between 4- and 5-string, fretted or fretless, and what about my electric upright? But still, I practice on average an hour a day, most days.

With the uke, I have found it very hard to actually get started. Every now and then I will get a boost of excitement and pick one up for a one hour session. That goes on for two to three days and then it's back to zero practice again. Recently, I realized it is because I am afraid of the instrument. Or better said, afraid to find out where my limitations lie. On the bass, I am pretty secure in what I can and cannot do - been playing it for close to 20 years by now.

On the uke, the proverbial sky is still the limit, because I am just taking my first baby steps. I could turn out to be very good, or incredibly mediocre. Then a friend of mine, who recently took up guitar, commented that if I never practice I definitely will not improve. As simple as it sounds, it was sort of a light bulb moment. He asked me what I hoped to achieve, and based on the response I gave, I decided to commit to 20-minute sessions 4 to 6 times per week. It's more manageable for me, and leaves time for bass and other stuff.

The chase is better than the catch, huh? I have made my own instruction manual by collecting Uncle Rod's bootcamp, a free book on right hand techniques, Hanon for uke and some other free resources. For a while it sat in my collection of music instruction books, but given my newfound desire for regular practice, and a clearer view of WHAT I want to work on, having these resources already available has enabled me to build in some routine AND variation into my practice regimen.

You don't have to practice. Its your uke and your life, you can choose how you spend your time.
Often with something that is difficult and inconvenient, you are not going to do it unless you have some motivation. if you just own a uke and play it for yourself why do you practice for an hour every day? Why don't you use you uke for some musical exploration and recreation for an hour every day instead?

Not sure if this is directed at me or the OP. In my own case, practice is what makes me evolve and become better at what I do. It works on bass, it works in the gym and I know it will work with the uke. For me, anyway. As always, YMMV. I have some (vague) ambitions re: where I want to take my musical explorations on the uke, and what I hope to achieve from learning to play this specific instrument.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there is benefit to be gained from cross-training. Again, that works in the gym. It will work - for me - with regards to uke & bass playing.

I have made the transition from beginner to intermediate; at least I like to think so :)

At the start I played 10 mins twice a day, that was all I could handle. Then 15 min, then 20, then 30. You do have to build up. When I first learned to chuck I was strumming too hard too long and sprained my finger. I had to learn to strum all over again with my middle finger. So take it easy.

From a neuroscience learning perspective regular small sessions are better. We consolidate our learning wit a good overnight sleep so the more sessions you have followed by sleep (ie daily practice) the more you will retain.

A pile of songs is overwhelming. Much better to approach it one song or even one chord transition at a time. I usually practice a song but sometimes I just practice the chord transitions of that song. I will slow it down to get the timing and rhythm, then I will play it really fast to challenge my hands, then I will play it slow again to get the best possible resonance and sound quality. I have Been shocked how many times I have to practice one song to get it right at a performance. Playing in front of other people distracts my fingers! Even at as shop trying instruments I get put off a bit. I need extra practice to be confident on the day.

When I am just fooling around or “noodling” I tend to practice random chord transitions, especially ones I think will be difficult. In those sessions I will experiment with finger placement and barring and getting a good sound.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. As a long-time bass player, practising that instrument has become so ingrained in my life that I hardly second-guess it. Although there is always the choice between 4- and 5-string, fretted or fretless, and what about my electric upright? But still, I practice on average an hour a day, most days.

With the uke, I have found it very hard to actually get started. Every now and then I will get a boost of excitement and pick one up for a one hour session. That goes on for two to three days and then it's back to zero practice again. Recently, I realized it is because I am afraid of the instrument. Or better said, afraid to find out where my limitations lie. On the bass, I am pretty secure in what I can and cannot do - been playing it for close to 20 years by now.

On the uke, the proverbial sky is still the limit, because I am just taking my first baby steps. I could turn out to be very good, or incredibly mediocre. Then a friend of mine, who recently took up guitar, commented that if I never practice I definitely will not improve. As simple as it sounds, it was sort of a light bulb moment. He asked me what I hoped to achieve, and based on the response I gave, I decided to commit to 20-minute sessions 4 to 6 times per week. It's more manageable for me, and leaves time for bass and other stuff.

The chase is better than the catch, huh? I have made my own instruction manual by collecting Uncle Rod's bootcamp, a free book on right hand techniques, Hanon for uke and some other free resources. For a while it sat in my collection of music instruction books, but given my newfound desire for regular practice, and a clearer view of WHAT I want to work on, having these resources already available has enabled me to build in some routine AND variation into my practice regimen.

Good thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

I think that you bring up and interesting concept. The fear of failure is a strong thing to get past. I know that I struggle with it a lot. I think that most everyone does. The easiest way to not fail is to just not do it. I have to remind myself often that fear of failure it what keeps people in their basement instead of experiencing the joy of sharing their music with others. And I don't think that it is just music, I meet a lot of people who I'm sure are not finishing their first novel because they know that they face a pile of rejection when they do. It is easier to talk about writing than it is to face the reality of writing. Just something one has to push back on.

Practice for me is mainly trying to learn new finger style pieces. I might warm up with a few exercises or scales. I do use a metronome with new pieces.
I would rather spend time working on music rather than technical exercises. I usually manage 1.5-2 hours a day in 20-30 minute sessions as many times a day as I feel like. I've been retired since June, 2016 so I don't have trouble fitting in that much time. One day a week I limit myself to no more than an hour to give my hands a break.
I also find that I need to go back and review pieces that I worked on in the past. I forget them pretty quickly, especially the finger style pieces.

practice, to me, is everything that is pre-musical: scales and modes, patterns, licks, plans of attack, etc. I spend about 90% of my time practicing, putting it into repetitive music but very rarely.

I think that you bring up and interesting concept. The fear of failure is a strong thing to get past. I know that I struggle with it a lot. I think that most everyone does. The easiest way to not fail is to just not do it. I have to remind myself often that fear of failure it what keeps people in their basement instead of experiencing the joy of sharing their music with others. And I don't think that it is just music, I meet a lot of people who I'm sure are not finishing their first novel because they know that they face a pile of rejection when they do. It is easier to talk about writing than it is to face the reality of writing. Just something one has to push back on.

Good life advice. People tend to blow their fear of rejection into something much bigger than it should be. If they can screw up the courage to step out and take a risk, they find it isn't nearly the obstacle they thought it to be.

Top Bottom