Old NUD: Vintage 1920s Martin Soprano

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I saw this uke: https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/c-1927-soprano-martin-ukulele-1k-50484 and traded in my MM 1181 for it (maybe not the best trade in terms of value.. but my 1181 was taking its own sweet time to sell..)

When I played this uke, it blew me away and since I was in store, I was able to compare it to other vintage ukes. The sound was loud and sweet.

The uke did have many battle scars but it had been played a lot, the first 3-4 frets show the wear. This I guess is a good sign, someone really enjoyed this uke and I can see or rather hear why.

I decided to have this uke refinished by Gryphon strings. The tuners were upgraded to gotoh. Having every thing fixed up and refinished did change the sound a bit, it felt like going from a crazy hairstyle to to a more refined hairstyle.. same person but a bit more composed.

I want this uke to last for another 100 years!

Sound samples coming soon.

i-KxdQN92-XL.jpg

i-R3Dpgpd-XL.jpg

i-ZQMQ8n5-XL.jpg

i-chtxPCs-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it is a case of "the chicken or the egg", but sometimes I wonder if some of these instruments sound good because they were played a lot or whether they were played a lot because they sounded good. Enjoy it for many years!

Sounds great
I recognise that tune so well

Wow - sounds great. Nice and full tone, with that beautiful dry crystal edge that only vintage uke can do. Congrats!

Fantabulous! Love it! Many congrats!!

I can totally understand the craze for these little guys, they are a blast and tone is just amazing..

I am considering selling this uke as I want bring down my uke count and I now have style 3k from the same era.

Top Bottom