Strumming style of chord melody

Edspyhill05

Reaction score
Not sure if the strumming style of chord melody has a special name. I hear the style done by players from the 1930’s, like Cliff Edwards, and the woman singer ukester in Bad Mouse Orchestra.

Are there instruction books back in the 1920’s and later that illustrate this style?

Just the Sweet Georgia Brown song at the beginning.

https://youtu.be/SC1onzNE1A0

Thank you,

Ed

Last edited:
A number of old (20s/30s) ukulele books and pieces of sheet music use this style of chord playing or include supplemental pages of it, but they may also be scored in the more usual chord/melody style, with fewer backing chords. Ian Chadwick sells a flash drive full of old music among which you'll find a number of such books and folios.

The only relatively modern book I have that uses this style a fair bit is the Lyle Ritz Solos book in the Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Masters series. The style is referred to as "chord solos"? (In the same series there's also the book Lyle Lite, easier solos in the same style.)

Thank you. I have a feeling both styles overlap and learning one style helps learning the other style.

Ed

Del Rey plays that style of uke....check out some of her videos and she also has a Homespun DVD although I haven’t seen it. BTW If you ever have a chance to see her or attend one of her workshops do so. She is a fantastic player on ukulele and guitar.

I'm not 100% sure what the question is. What I will say is that an important part of the sound and rhythm is being generated from the damping of the chords with the fretting hand. The strumming is pretty straight forward yet the short staccato sound is being produced by releasing the pressure on the fretted after each strum and pressing down a gain for each new strum.

Charlotte's playing playing on Sweet Georgia- awesome! I love that style of uke playing..Thanks for posting the vid.

I want to try to learn but there are some real left hand stretches there..

Last edited:
Marcy Marxer just released a course on Chord melody playing. That looks interesting.

www.truefire.com

James Hill’s course, “The Ukulele Way” basically teaches you how to build your own chord melodies. Very clear videos, supplemented with written lesson incl tab and stand.not., high and low g material. James is not just a great player, he’s an excellent teacher.

There's an older book entitled 'Modern Ukulele Solos... arranged by Art King" by Miller Music Corp.
if you can find one, it has 16 older songs and a very complete Chord Chart with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions!

Also, I believe the Lyle Ritz books may also provide Chord Melodies as well.

keep uke'in',

I don't know what it's called, I think one of the strums is triplets, but it sure is fun to watch/hear. Stu Fuchs can do it too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom