Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper preparation for finishing

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    I do. But thinly and only to make certain any minute gaps that might be present around the bindings and rosette are filled.
    And I have a couple of those around the binding. Rosette is clean. That's a good tip, Chuck. What do you use for filler? I apologize once again, this is all new stuff to me.
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
    And I have a couple of those around the binding. Rosette is clean. That's a good tip, Chuck. What do you use for filler? I apologize once again, this is all new stuff to me.
    For me, it is almost inevitable that there will be a small gap somewhere along the binding. Almost always along the sides. I tape off the area very carefully and then fill the tiny gap with a white glue-sawdust mixture. I usually have to do that 2 or 3 times because the glue shrinks back. Remove tape, sand out when dry (overnight) and any gap is virtually invisible to the eye. Only I will ever know. I know where the bodies are buried and I'm not talkin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBarnett View Post
    I'm talking about the ones you can't even see they are so tiny. You may not even see them while you're spraying lacquer. They'll often show up after the lacquer has cured for a while or you discover them while buffing. (We're talking abut trying to achieve a perfect finish-others might not care much about the errant pin hole.) I use medium ca glue as a pore filler and running a swipe around the bindings and rosette will take care of any minute gaps.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Great advice Chuck. Those gaps 'grinning' at you half way through buffing are REALLY annoying!
    Last edited by Pete Howlett; 10-29-2018 at 01:47 PM.

I'll reiterate.
    I grain fill the rosette if i've used woods with deep grain.
    I fill binding/purfling gaps etc.
    I drop fill (with nitro) anything I missed.

But i don't grain fill the whole soft top

Thread Information