Season 350: Seasonista Originals

I approached this with trepidation! Jon is my ukulele hero, having been solely responsible for bringing my supremely untalented self to this wonderful (and, otherwise exceedingly talented) community ... he has a lot to answer for! This is a pale imitation of Jon's song, which has known two incarnations, first as Jon's original version and later as a super-enhanced version by the very talented duo, "Silence is Autumn". My apologies to Jon ... and to Kevin! The beanie is worn in homage to my hero! (And, whoops, John (Flatbaroque) .... I didn't look back, so I hadn't realised you had already posted this! Sorry!)

Last edited:
My first effort this week comes from the pen of Berni Armstrong. Berni has to be one of the most consistently good songwriters here. His songs cover a wide range of subjects and are in a wide range of styles. I chose this song because it shows his folk music influences, particularly in his treatment of the subject as there are many folk songs that deal with this theme, but he very much puts his own stamp on it. The accompanying video is pictures I've taken at Saltburn a town on the coast nearby. I've used some of them before and I've included some video clips of the sea to complement the theme of the song.

Since I've covered three others' songs, I guess I'm clear to do a new original, written for this week. This is a song about new songs. Feel free to sing along on the chorus. Only three chords! Key of D.

So just to show that Trent isn’t the only brown-noser in these here parts, I’ve also chosen one of our esteemed host’s songs to cover. I love the message of this one - basically that there’s nothing wrong with doing things your own way in life sometimes, and starting with dessert could be just the first step! It’s a message I need to take heed of myself a little more often - so I’ve coupled it with a drum beat that maybe isn’t an obvious choice, just to be different! ;)

And here is Randy’s excellent original version: https://youtu.be/0A2dw9qfOs0

Where do we go from here - an MP Original song.

I started working on this song back when we did the Elvis and Nick theme but didn't manage to get it from more than an idea, so this was the perfect opportunity to get it recorded. I hope you like this original song 'Where do we go from here'...

Here's one Lynda wrote during my Bluegrass Season, as she tried hard to achieve Bluegrass, which in her own way she did!

You Stole My Heart by Forté an original written for Mile of Music 6 in Appleton Wisconsin

Another really good day. I continue to be amazed by the talent of all the Seasonistas - both performing and writing!

what a great theme, Randy!

Here is a song that Brian ( pabrizzer) wrote for us on the occasion of our marriage.
We love you Brian.

when I first heard this song it wrapped itself around my guts like a noose.
to me, pretty much every song John writes is a primal experience.
not only has he become one of my favorite songwriters by virtue of his lyrics,
it's the soul, the purity, always, in his performances that give them wings to fly.
for this, and in keeping with my view of his aesthetic as an artist
i just turned the recorder on and played three live takes on a baritone side by side;
hoping beyond hope to approximate something of the raw truth in his writing and music.
thanks for being a part of this thing brother.
John's original is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3VLHWHSXg

Dog Town by Ukulele Extra Cheese done in the style of Roxy Music with Bryan Ferry as vocalist.
Could not work out the chords so I just put E D A on repeat and tried to get into the flow of the words.
In the old days it was called artistic License. Fun song cos it accurately describes a dogs behaviour.

Code:
[COLOR=#111111][FONT=Roboto][FONT=courier new]Dog Town
We live in dog town
We throw the ball around
We get down on the floor and make growling sounds
We get to go outside
And then we go inside
And then a little later on we get to go outside
We like to chase the cat
We like to chase the ball
We like to run across the living room and down the hall
We like to smell things
We like to eat things
We like to get up on the furniture and dance and sing
We like to bark at sounds
We like to bark at sights
And we really really really like to bark at night
We like to go for walks When the weather's nice
When the weather's hot, we don't wanna walk
We like to ride in the car and go new places
Smell new hands and lick new faces
Ride in the car and go new places 
Smell new butts and lick new faces
Dog Town   Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..[/FONT].[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:
Earlier on Lynda did me the honour of playing one of my songs. She changed it around a bit and I think she improved it. So here's my homage to her version.

Not sure what the social protocol is on covering a cover of one of your own songs but here we are

Borrow my Piano by Extra Cheese. I asked Bootsy Collins to help out on this one
and he passed it on to George Clinton and this was the result. They said that this
was about as much fun as you can have with your trousers on. Completely different
from the slow paced Extra Cheese original, but you see it's the words that attract me.
and the ideas behind them.

If you wanna borrow my piano That would be okay
It's really very portable I can't play it anyway
It has these built in rhythms To help you keep the beat
And it can sound like an organ Which I think is pretty neat
( instrumental )
So if you want to borrow my piano Just say the word
You could get some sweet sounds From what I've heard
You are the keyboard wizard You could really put on a show
One of these days I'm gonna be just like you But right now this is all I know

Last edited:
Top Bottom