Season 350: Seasonista Originals

Here's a gorgeous song written by Jon, I really like it, and it's about time I covered one of his tunes.

I heard Rob's version of this yesterday, followed by Krabbers' original. It has been going around in a loop in my head ever since, so I thought I might as well play along with it.

Since Alan covered one of my songs, I figured I would pick one of his.

Looking at his youtube channel this title instantly cought my attention, and this was the one I had to cover!

I don't think I hit the same notes, but I play the chords... It is an interpretation.
My wife and I often enjoy Netflix-brunch... guilty pleasure. No kids yet, so we are not depending on lolcats. We don't have a Roku so I changed the lyrics to Playstation, since that is how we stream.

This is one by Bruce Rutherford. Bruce doesn't post often, but when he does, he frequently does an original. I think he always uses a baritone and always accompanies himself with the harp. I couldn't find which season this was from; I thought it was the Sharknado season but I couldn't find it there. Anyway, back when he posted this, I downloaded it for future reference. I changed it quite a bit from his version, but I think that's how covers should go. Attempted blues harping in some secondary position, I think. I don't have much technical knowledge about the harmonica.

This is one of those songs that I didn't write, but I wish I had. The repeated line "in a hundred mile an hour wind and twenty feet of rain" really grabs me. It has a great rhythm and is very graphic.

A lovely song by Berni ... made less lovely by me! The song is Berni's but the fireplace (called a "cantou" in French) is ours ... it was cold enough to light the wood burner today! I wish I was able to cover more songs - there are so many talented songwriters amongst the Seasonistas - but, unfortunately, I am running out of Internet time again, it being nearly the end of the month. Thanks so much for such an interesting Season, Randy!

This is by our terrific host Randy McSorley. This song has always stuck with me. It's really beautiful. I wish I had the time to jump in and bring more for you, Randy. There are so many talented people here that deserve the spotlight this week and if I can get to some of you I will. This is the first day in weeks that I have had a few hours alone.

I love Geoff's wonderful folk songs, and I thought they might transfer well to dulcimer, so I tried this one. This was my first take, in spite of my dog Rayna going to lengths to distract me, she makes an appearance at the end.

One of my favourite songwriters on the Seasons is Brian (Pabrizzer). I love it when he gets so bluesy (or JJ Caley) . I just haven't got the skill to get anywhere close to him when he gets down and boogies. He is also a master at saying so much with only a few short lines. If I have a fault (and my wife would assure you I have many) it is that I often overwrite, perhaps.

So, when this theme came up, I knew whose back catalogue I would search first. Now this particular song appeared some time back and my comment then was that it was too cool to only have two verses. I offered to write a third verse and also a break (middle eight). However, until tonight, I didn't get around to it.

So with my additions (and a tip of the hat he once sent me") I'll just say: "Slainte, Brian!"

Last edited:
CORRECTED URL FOR: ddanner Originals PLaylist

Randy, It looks like the initial URL I gave you for my Originals Playlist was a link to only a single video, which was the last original I submitted to SOTU. I have edited my initial post, but could you please update the URL in your "This Thread" list you are using in SOTU 350?

The correct URL for the entirety of my YouTube Originals is located at:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVgDbDAVH5rA0sf90tyh4b1ScxqSX_UGP

Many thanks,
ddanner

guess it's not surprising that,
given the amount of time we all spend here,
some of these folks' become our favourite writers;
one of my favourite songs in the whole world written by a fella
who happens to be a friend of mine. :)

Gugu & Gorilla cover. Comparing falling in love to the flight of a bird.
We all know that exhilarating sensation when your heart begins to soar.

One from Thumbstrummer/NotAnotherLinda/Graham. Great song Graham. Appears quite simple, but really packs a punch.

I don't have any ocean pictures, but I have some photos I took of the Cibolo Creek, several miles upstream from where I live, where it looks more like a river than a creek. All the video bits were done outside, and synced as best as I could get them. Also featuring Dakota the Australian Shepherd mix.

An original gospel song by Jon Duncan.

Greetings,

Well, I tried to duplicate some interesting sound effects on this, not sure if I really captured the essence of DelGriff original, however I sure had fun with the vid.

Ciao

Greetings,

One of my own originals. "On the Floor". You cannot find anyone else until you find yourself. Single, mono track, just me and the ol' ipad. Sometimes it just suits the mood.

Ciao

One of the most accomplished, versatile and consistent songwriters on the seasons is Jon Duncan, of that there can be no doubt. He wrote a wonderful song called 'Wolves' for my 'Let There Be Light' season a few months back - full of drive and tension and energy, it blew me away and won him a t-shirt!:) I never imagined I'd ever be able to play it - and I certainly couldn't do it anything like the original. So I've taken a big risk here - I just hope Jon won't hate me for it! :eek: I've slowed it down and pared it back. But I hopefully haven't completely lost the essence and the spirit of it. Yes - I'm rather worried! Here goes...

Here's Jon's superb original: https://youtu.be/aayJXIlHkic

Top Bottom