aNueNue Light Bird Tenor - exclusive to World Of Ukes - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Dang it, just when I thought I didn't really want another ukulele. Now I got the wants again. I gotta stop reading these!

(not)

I just love your reviews, please don't ever stop them!

BTW, try some Throat Coat Tea, it's made for singers, and even tastes good. works wonders!
Feel better!

Last edited:
I’d say both. The cedar is definitrly warm but the build is so resonant and chimey!

Nice. I toyed with making a purchase of the Moonbird concert that was for sale on HMS. Your review made it really tempting, but the price was too steep for me at the time. I’m in the US. Anyone have experience buying & shipping from World of Ukes?

Nice. I toyed with making a purchase of the Moonbird concert that was for sale on HMS. Your review made it really tempting, but the price was too steep for me at the time. I’m in the US. Anyone have experience buying & shipping from World of Ukes?

Just checked. The price shown also includes shipping to USA. Matt explained that VAT included in the price, is not collected on exports, so that money is used to pay for shipping.

Just checked. The price shown also includes shipping to USA. Matt explained that VAT included in the price, is not collected on exports, so that money is used to pay for shipping.

Thanks Hodge. I emailed Matt & he responded promptly with that same info. I've never purchased from the UK before, but it seems like it wouldn't be a problem.

Question for Barry about the aNueNue neck. Would you describe it as thick, medium, or thin? In comparison to others I've played......thick being Pono, medium being a KoAloha or Kanilea, and thin being a Loprinzi. I have heard the aNueNue described by others as thinner than Kanilea, but not as thin as Loprinzi. From your review it sounds like a C shaped neck, as opposed to a flatter D shape?

One other question. The Moonbird has a very slightly radiused fret board (per Andrew at HMS). Does the Lightbird have that same slight radius?

Thanks for your detailed reviews. Super helpful.

Last edited:
I would love to know this as well. Especially to how it compares to Kanilea tenor necks. I'm in love with how the MoonBird looks/sounds, but this one seems to sound just as good. May have to pre-order one of these once I can figure out if I will like the neck or not.

Question for Barry about the aNueNue neck. Would you describe it as thick, medium, or thin? In comparison to others I've played......thick being Pono, medium being a KoAloha or Kanilea, and thin being a Loprinzi. I have heard the aNueNue described by others as thinner than Kanilea, but not as thin as Loprinzi. From your review it sounds like a C shaped neck, as opposed to a flatter D shape?

One other question. The Moonbird has a very slightly radiused fret board (per Andrew at HMS). Does the Lightbird have that same slight radius?

Thanks for your detailed reviews. Super helpful.

Last edited:
In another post, Camsuke, who just received a Moon Bird tenor describes the neck as more D shaped, with a measurement of 18mm deep at the nut. I did a rough measurement of my ukuleles, and I got 18mm for my KoAloha, 19mm for my Islander (Kanilea), 20mm for my Gary Gill, and about 15mm for my Loprinzi.

It's not a Moon Bird though - not radiused and what I would call more of a C shape than a flatter D. It's not my preferred profile, but the nut width is a bigger issue for me with ukuleles and it's perfectly wide with good string spacing. I would measure it, but it's boxed up waiting for a courier to take it back to the shop!

Thanks Barry. Matt calls it medium thin. He says he'll put up more sound samples once he gets the prototype back from you.

for us in the USA, the lightbird seems to be about $850 on preorder. kinda pricey for an import, but it appears to be a great instrument. thanks for a comprehensive review. would love to take one for a spin.
looking at the WOU site, they also have a Kiwaya KPT-1M All Solid Tenor Ukulele,

I'm a big Kiwaya fanboy, would love to try out one of those too. there was one on reverb for $900, so they seem to be in the same ballpark on $

Last edited:
It does seem like a nice value. Don't forget that US customers will likely have to pay an import duty. From memory, it's about 9%.

for us in the USA, the lightbird seems to be about $850 on preorder. kinda pricey for an import, but it appears to be a great instrument. thanks for a comprehensive review. would love to take one for a spin.
looking at the WOU site, they also have a Kiwaya KPT-1M All Solid Tenor Ukulele,

I'm a big Kiwaya fanboy, would love to try out one of those too. there was one on reverb for $900, so they seem to be in the same ballpark on $

I think the better comparison is with the Anuenue Moonbird @ $1,500 new.... and that model sold like hot cakes!
Quality costs, even with Chinese import ukes.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/custom-builds/anuenue-ut200-moon-bird-tenor.html

Wondering if the Concert will have a slotted headstock also?

I think the better comparison is with the Anuenue Moonbird @ $1,500 new.... and that model sold like hot cakes!
Quality costs, even with Chinese import ukes.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/custom-builds/anuenue-ut200-moon-bird-tenor.html

And that is EXACTLY the point of it. The Mood Bird is considerably more. Whilst this is not a cheap uke, it’s cheap compared to the Moon Bird and, in my opinion, just as well made. As such I think it’s a relative bargain.

Top Bottom