aNueNue Light Bird Tenor - exclusive to World Of Ukes - REVIEW

Audio is not always the thing to trust, but this ukulele I want.

That sustain and tone sound so great, perhaps better than in that 1200€ uke of the same maker that you reviewed too ;)

I think you are right. For me this wowed me as much as the Moon Bird did - a lot less money too.

Thanks Matt. I'm a sucker for slot head ukuleles!

That looks Gorgeous Matt.
There is something about slot heads that is very pretty.

If I didnt have a Timms in a van circling around my house right now, I think my uke-lust of instruments way too good for me would be centering around this concert model

Curses! I've already been plotting about getting a Moon Bird concert (I was just blown away by its sound and looks). Now I am very tempted by the Light Bird as a less expensive but similarly awesome sounding uke, although I really like the moon bling given my last name is moon, lol.... sadly, both will have to wait until after I pay off the baritone that is on hold for me....

Hey Bazmaz,

I am considering the Moonbird vs the UT140. In general prefer the warmth of cedar vs spruce, and am wondering if there is much difference of the cedar from the sound of the Spruce in these? I don't like anything too bright or ringy, but am willing to get a spruce if this is worth the risk of trying something new. Also, does the slotted headstock change the weight balance vs the Moonbird? I like a slightly heavier body due to the way I hold the uke. Am torn between the two, and was more into the Moonbird because of the flawless construction and the moon motif. If I could only get one more uke, between the two- which one would it be?? Thanks for your input.

Both the light bird and the moon bird are perfectly balanced and light. Sound - if I am honest, I think I prefer the Light Bird

I’ve had my Moon Bird for two weeks now. It’s my first spruce top uke & I was expecting it to be bright. I have found it to be very well balanced in tone. Not overly bright, with a nice low end sound. Good volume. The Light Bird should equally fantastic.

Ugh, I am so torn! Not sure which way to go!!
No wrong choice, just small differences. The Moon Bird got me excited when it first showed up on the HMS website. I didn’t have the money at the time & they disappeared fast. I considered the Light Bird & had good email communication with Matt from World of Ukes. The price & great review by Barry made it tempting. In the end, when the Moon Bird reappeared at HMS I went that direction. I didn’t have a spruce top uke, I already had a mahogany body uke, I knew I was going to sell my rosewood body uke, and I didn’t want to wait until February to get the Light Bird from the UK. The look of the Moon Bird outweighed the slotted head stock on the Light Bird. I went with the ukulele that stole my heart first.

Still have not pulled the trigger yet. I like the cutaway/roomy treble spacing. Is it easy to fret an "A" chord? That limits me with the traditional body, I can't really get the whole fretted A when I want to.

I think you are right. For me this wowed me as much as the Moon Bird did - a lot less money too.

Barry- I see you also own a KoAloha tenor. How would you compare the sound of that to the moon bird and light bird? Margie

Barry- I see you also own a KoAloha tenor. How would you compare the sound of that to the moon bird and light bird? Margie

Very different things I guess. I personally think the KoAloha tenors are about as good as they get at the price point - a rich, woodier tone compared to the Moon Bird. The Moon Bird is, of course, excellent. Pressed to buy one or the other I'd take the Koa Koaloha, but looks come into that also.

Interesting question!
Agreed, they are 2 very different beasts! Depends on the kind of sound and look you like as again they are very different, and the koa moon bird I think is probably a different animal to the spruce even!
I've had both instruments, together and separately at various times and I don't know which I'd choose. But feel I'd probably sway towards one more than the other for various reasons.

I think new 2019 version has narrower neck, 36mm at the nut (compare with 38mm from the initial review by Barry)

Can anyone confirm please? I prefer personally 38mm, or 1.5", at the nut, similar to Kanile'a. Thanks,

Not sure on the neck width. If it has indeed been narrowed, then I think that is a shame.

Hard to find a definite size - for tenor size, one review says 36mm, another says 37mm and the got a ukulele review 1.5inches...
So could just be variations in measuring more than an actual change in size?
I couldn't find it listed on the actual anuenue website or on the ukulele site.
(World of Ukes have ithe tenor as 37mm, southern ukulele store 36mm).
My tenor is just over 37mm

Last edited:
Top Bottom