Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitalele is a Guitar and/or a Ukulele

It's a guitar, no question about it. There's precedence. They were made in the early/middle of the 19 th century, although infrequently. May have been as a child's instrument or even as a show piece. Guitalele is just a modern marketing term for a small guitar pitched in A. Things get even more interesting when you look at the renaissance guitar - which had four courses and tuned just like a ukulele or rather the ukulele is tuned just like a renaissance guitar.
    Last edited by Michael N.; 10-29-2018 at 02:06 PM.

The new strings seemed to tight and not much sustain. After three days of playing off and on all day the strings seem to have more sustain and sort of opened up. I also, on the second day dropped the tuning to D to D. Tuned everything down two half steps. Really sounds good now. I tried DADGAD and DADF#AD but that was not improved over the D to D tuning. I may try tonight or tomorrow dropping both tunings two half steps and see what that sounds like.

A guitar it is, just tuned higher. Ukulele player would be quite lost in how to play the 2 lowest strings, chords I mean.
    Whereas a guitar player would need to learn just new names of the chords, most other techniques are transferable quite easy.

On the other thought guitalele is not a bad name in my opinion. An advanced uke soloist will know the fretboard of his/her 4 strings. And be in advantage over a guitar player.
    Myself while not being an advanced soloist with my uke and know play the guitar too: I (almost) never read notes as transposed on either instrument. Just a thought

Btw, many guitar players also have a somewhat hard time understanding them E and A strings. See, 4 fingers, 4 strings!

Michael N above says that guitalele is pitched to A, ... well in that sense a guitar yes would be having E as the most favorite key.

But that isn't so really. Yes the E&A keys are quite popular in some music/playing styles that use E and A as base notes and need them as open.

More I say guitar favors the key of G almost as well as ukulele favors the C. And their minor variants.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    The new strings seemed to tight and not much sustain. After three days of playing off and on all day the strings seem to have more sustain and sort of opened up. I also, on the second day dropped the tuning to D to D. Tuned everything down two half steps. Really sounds good now. I tried DADGAD and DADF#AD but that was not improved over the D to D tuning. I may try tonight or tomorrow dropping both tunings two half steps and see what that sounds like.
    This was on another thread wasn't it? I'm having trouble locating it now. Which strings were this? The standard E to E on 17" scale? And they work turned down to D? I'd love to hear that.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    This was on another thread wasn't it? I'm having trouble locating it now. Which strings were this? The standard E to E on 17" scale? And they work turned down to D? I'd love to hear that.
    Hi Jim. Yes, I probably said something or a lot of someting about Drop tuning. I am a super big fan of Drop 3 Tuning - dropping all strings 3 1/2 tones and capoing on the second or third fret. Easier on voice and fingers. Sometimes I play 3 half tones down and no capo. Warmer, richer tones and more sustain. I learned this system long ago when my hand first stated hurting and have used it ever since. I have no instruments in standad e-E. Only my wife's guitar and my classcal that I gave to her because I can n longer play it.

As long as you get no string buzz, try it on any stringed instrument. It is nice and you can always capo back up. However on Guitalele, 17 inch scale I do not use a capo.

Order a set of those E strings. I only paid $10.19 shipping an all half way around the world. You can always give them to me if you do not like them -lol.

i had a young student (5 years old) come in with a guitalele tuned to standard guitar tuning and for the first several months of teaching him i assumed it was just a very small scale guitar lol.

i would consider it a guitar that sounds and plays a bit like a ukulele. but really it's all semantics, you can look at it either way

After 20 years of not playing my guitar, it felt huge to me- so I bought a ukulele and now have several. But I still miss the fuller sound of 6 strings, being able to have the tonic note at the base of the chord (rather than an inversion), as well as the lower range. The mini guitars (baby Taylor, little Martin) feel too big. The guitaleles are a nice size at the body, but they all seem to be very wide at the nut. As if they cut off the 5 frets closest to the nut, when what I want is for that much length to be cut off where it attaches to the body. Does such an instrument exist?? I would prefer it to be strung E to E, although would accept A to A or G to G. (Nylon strings)
    Last edited by mgsondance; 11-17-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Mya Moe Chocolate Mango Concert
    Romero Creations Koa ST Concert
    Concert Magic Fluke
    Gary Creedy Cherry Tenor
    Martin OX soprano
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke
    Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Baritone

What is "very wide" to you? The Cordoba C1m comes with a 1.75" nut which is about 44.5mm. It's a 19" scale and a bit larger than baritone uke body. The Cordoba guilele is 17" scale with 46mm nut with a smaller tenor body. I have the C1m and it actually came with E to E strings though I put G to G on it. There are also several examples at 48mm.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

Hi Jim- I'd prefer the nut width to be the same as my guitar, which is 42.5mm. I have heard the Cordoba's are smaller than most but haven't been able to find one to try yet. The length of my guitar neck is 18", and I'd prefer it to be shorter as I don't have the reach/flexibility that I use to- maybe 16"? I'd also prefer the body to be no bigger than the size of my baritone, which is a Mainland. All of that probably doesn't exist, lol. Yet I'm curious as to why not, because I think there are women out there who would prefer a much smaller guitar without it being some really cheap like a child's model.
    Mya Moe Chocolate Mango Concert
    Romero Creations Koa ST Concert
    Concert Magic Fluke
    Gary Creedy Cherry Tenor
    Martin OX soprano
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke
    Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Baritone

Thread Information