Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why should bridge pins be still used on ukes?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Bridge pin bridges NEED ball end strings. The two are designed to work together. Bridge pins are not designed to resist vertical forces along there axis. Under tension the ball of a ball end string pushes sideways against the pin which is what its designed to resist and it resists well as he pin is captured in the hole.
    Ah! I will try a bead with these strings to try and mimic the ball. There is no little slot for my fat strings to rest in, so I thought that was the issue.
    Last edited by Martinlover; 06-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.

When I bought a new GL6 K-1 Premimum from Kanile'a it shipped with plain old knots lodged under the bridge pins and worked fine save for the 1st string. The first string was jammed under the bridge plate and I had to work it loose with a hat pin, so I installed a bead on the replacement and all was well for the next string change.

My Iriguchi has a string-through-bridge. I’m not sure what impact on tone there is, but I like the clean look of it. 29F7AE11-D6AA-4CDA-84CD-35829C9CFE1C.jpg
    I think I have pineapple UAS

Ukes in order of purchase
    2018: Córdoba concert 15CM, Luna soprano, Islander tenor AT-4, Iriguchi concert “Ma’Alaea” - Birdseye maple top and poplar back Aug 2018
    2019: Mahalo soprano Kahiko, KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 (made in 2012), abused but unused gold label Kamaka koa pineapple, *rough* 1930’s Kamaka “Historic Mahogany Pineapple” with Philippine mahogany and wooden peg tuners.

I like things simple.
    I dont want to bother finding out where to get proper beads or be restricted to that one brand of strings with ball ends.
    I dont have a pin bridge ukulele yet.
    This far I slightly prefer a plain tie bar over the design with the hidden knot, despite the clumpsier look, since I have had a few knots come undone or popping through.

If the Kanilea pin bridges work with knots due to that slot, they scare me a little less.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I like things simple.
    I dont want to bother finding out where to get proper beads or be restricted to that one brand of strings with ball ends.
    I dont have a pin bridge ukulele yet.
    This far I slightly prefer a plain tie bar over the design with the hidden knot, despite the clumpsier look, since I have had a few knots come undone or popping through.

If the Kanilea pin bridges work with knots due to that slot, they scare me a little less.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Well, I got some beads and followed instructions found here:https://music.stackexchange.com/ques...e-pins-ukulele
    After understanding the physics a bit more—the diagram was helpful—the the pins on my Martin are seated very well. I tried to use Maisel/Chee GHS high D GBE but the 2nd string was way too fat. So I swapped the B and E for some thinner Thomastiks I had on hand. So far no popping pins!
    Last edited by Martinlover; 06-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.

I like my bridge pins on my Kanile’a. Not the best looking plastic (which I have), ebony is sweet in my opinion however. I like the string changing process the best personally.
    Kiwaya KTS-4 - High G - Living Water
    Moon Bird UC200 - High G - Black Water
    Blackbird Clara Sunburst - Low G - Fremont
    Kanile’a K-2 Premium Concert - High G - Living Water
    KoAloha KCO-10 Acacia - High G - Stock
    Flea Concert - High G - Living Water
    Aiersi OU-31M - High G - Worth

If you Uke easy, life will be hard. If you Uke hard, life will be easy.

I disliked bridge pins for a long time. But they keep the top clean. Unlike a string-thru bridge, you can deal with the string without having to go in the uke.

I have to admit that I like the look of the string-thru bridge more. But check out my last purchase, from Jay Lichty.

https://lichtyguitars.com/2018/10/17...aby-bard-g116/

This thing takes a bit of work to change the strings, but I totally love it over any other bridge option.
    -Abe (ah-bay)
    Teacher/musician/podcaster
    ukuleleabe.com
    Abe’s Ukulele Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleleabe View Post
    I disliked bridge pins for a long time. But they keep the top clean. Unlike a string-thru bridge, you can deal with the string without having to go in the uke.

I have to admit that I like the look of the string-thru bridge more. But check out my last purchase, from Jay Lichty.

https://lichtyguitars.com/2018/10/17...aby-bard-g116/

This thing takes a bit of work to change the strings, but I totally love it over any other bridge option.
    Congratulations Abe, that is a really beautiful instrument! How is it strung?
    Happy just to be a Newbie, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Congratulations Abe, that is a really beautiful instrument! How is it strung?
    Thanks! At the moment it's eaDGBE. So it's like a guitar with the 5th and 6th strings up an octave, or a baritone uke with two reentrant strings. Mine's 19", so linear E to E is tough, but A to A works well, too.
    -Abe (ah-bay)
    Teacher/musician/podcaster
    ukuleleabe.com
    Abe’s Ukulele Podcast

Thread Information