Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should bridge pins be still used on ukes?

Question Why should bridge pins be still used on ukes?

The pass through bridge with knot works well, needs smaller holes, is safer for the top.
    Why should bridge pins be continued? More fidgety, everyone at least once has seen pins fly, the act of pulling out pins damages the pin and the bridge..
    In other words bridge pins donít belong on ukes.
    This has been the reason why I never considered ukes by Pete or numerous other makers..
    The tie bridge is my 2nd fav, ie I am ok with it, cause they are the simplest.
    Last edited by kerneltime; 10-29-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    The pass through bridge with knot works well, needs smaller holes, is safer for the top.
    Why should bridge pins be continued? More fidgety, everyone at least once has seen pins fly, the act of pulling out pins damages the pin and the bridge..
    In other words bridge pins don’t belong on ukes.
    This has been the reason why I never considered ukes by Pete or numerous other makers..
    The tie knot bridge is my 2nd fav, ie I am ok with it, cause they are the simplest.
    As it was explained to me, a pin bridge takes less space than a tie bridge.

Pin hole slots can help prevent strings/pins from popping out. I also use beads larger than pin holes when the pin bridge holes are not slotted. Personally I like the look of a pin bridge.

My least favorite bridge is the through-hole bridge. Makes it harder to try and re-use strings.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 10-29-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    As it was explained to me, a pin bridge takes less space than a tie bridge.

Pin hole slots can help prevent strings/pins from popping out. I also use beads larger than pin holes when the pin bridge holes are not slotted. Personally I like the look of a pin bridge.

My least favorite bridge is the through-hole bridge. Makes it harder to try and re-use strings.
    I have gotten quite used to the through hole bridge, the hole is smaller and grabbing the string is pretty easy when changing. I hate it when pins fly, scared it will poke someone in the eye. The look is cleaner as well.

During the Baritone retreat at Pistol River, this topic came up and it seems bridge pin bridges tend to need repair more often.. (I am paraphrasing). Stansell has a tie bridge and Kinnard, Mark Robert and Ono use through bridges.

I like the clean look of the through bridge. I think pins look too heavy on smaller sized ukes.

In all honesty, I've never had a bridge pin fly on me; either uke or guitar. But I have had strings come loose on a tie and multi-hole (8/12) bridge. That said, tie is still my favorite.

John

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    I have gotten quite used to the through hole bridge, the hole is smaller and grabbing the string is pretty easy when changing. I hate it when pins fly, scared it will poke someone in the eye. The look is cleaner as well.

During the Baritone retreat at Pistol River, this topic came up and it seems bridge pin bridges tend to need repair more often.. (I am paraphrasing). Stansell has a tie bridge and Kinnard, Mark Robert and Ono use through bridges.
    I agree with you that a through-hole bridge is less likely pop off. But, then I’ve never had a bridge come off any uke I’ve owned. I’ve never thought too much about what bridge a uke has. They all work. I like diversity. Whatever type a luthier prefers to use is fine with me.

Pin bridge looks just right on my Hive. And the through-bridge on my Ono 6-string bari is also just right.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 10-29-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I guess it's personal. I prefer through the bridge stringing myself, soooo easy.
    Pin bridges look hideous to me, on a uke. They belong on guitars, I think.
    A friend of mine builds all his ukes with pin bridges cause he's a guitar guy, he thinks through the bridge stringing is silly. I wouldn't buy any other type of bridge, but he won't build me a uke with one on it. ARGH.
    Each to his/her own.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Funny enough two of the very best, highest regarded custom ukuleles , Hive and the Ko'olau CS model come with bridge pins. So do Kanilea and they are seriously good instruments. I like the look of through hole bridges best, neat and clean. The tie bridge reminds me of a classical guutar and I like that. Pin bridge does seem out of place on a uke but I have a Koolau CS spruce and myrtle with them, it sounds fantastic and strings are so easy to change. To each there own.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Funny enough two of the very best, highest regarded custom ukuleles , Hive and the Ko'olau CS model come with bridge pins. So do Kanilea and they are seriously good instruments. I like the look of through hole bridges best, neat and clean. The tie bridge reminds me of a classical guutar and I like that. Pin bridge does seem out of place on a uke but I have a Koolau CS spruce and myrtle with them, it sounds fantastic and strings are so easy to change. To each there own.
    I guess that it depends on who’s doing it. I seriously considered bridge pins for the blonde bombshell as Allen McFarlan does a very nice job on them.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I have to confess that on one of my Kanile'a tenor ukes the A-string had chewed into the bridge further than the original hole's groove. I could not tie a big enough knot to hold the Fluorocarbon string in place. Fortunately, I read about using a bead in a through-hole. And it worked perfectly for the Kanile'a.

Kanile'a never answered my inquiry about the situation.

Since I play tenors, I don't really care overly much about which kind of bridge is on my ukuleles. They all work well. So, if the maker wants to use bridge pins to give his ukes a different look, more power to him/her.

Thread Information