2019 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival

Mitch, can we download any of the music for Saturday? I prefer to work on a tablet. Thanks.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

No downloads for Beatles jam, printouts will be available upon arrival. For Saturday, no, handouts will be included in the printed program $1

No downloads for Beatles jam, printouts will be available upon arrival. For Saturday, no, handouts will be included in the printed program $1

What is Christopher's last name teaching the chord melody class? He is not listed in the bios.

We had an Amazing time last night at the preview dinner at Hapa Restaurant.
It so nice to rub elbows with our favorite stars in a small venue!

Jack did a cover of Goerge Bensons Masquerade. Damn!

The Beloff strum along was everything we expected and more, Jim and Liz are just super.

We got to met Christopher Davis-Shannon for the first time, and watch him perform. That was a real treat.

We met old friends and made new friends. HI Jade!!!

I tried the open mike for the first time. Please forgive me.

Time to get ready for the Festival!!

Just getting ready to go, looking forward to a full day immersed in ukulele.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I enjoyed the festival today, with a bit of reservation. Got there faster than I thought, about 30 minutes when I thought it might take an hour, about 8:40 am. The check-in line was long and should have wound from the opposite side of the check-in booth, many people were confused where they should go and, the signs were too small and the line interfered with access to a degree. Also, the first thing scheduled was a drawing, but very few people had a chance to buy a ticket, so having a drawing didn't make much sense.

The entertainment in the plaza was really good, and the free booths area had some very interesting items, I might end up ordering a custom bass uke from one or another vendor. I attended a couple of workshops, Jim Beloff is really good, as was Craig Chee, but Milo for the bass uke workshop was rather confusing, mixed teaching about bass playing and uke playing, I had to explain each element to my confused friend I was sitting next to. I don't get why a bass workshop included ukulele.

I brought a couple of sandwiches, but there was no line for the Seasons Catering so I bought a curry plate that was great. I then saw that Rutts had a booth near the plaza entrance, which sold out shortly after lunch time and closed up. Next to them was a shaved ice booth, and outside the entrance was a food truck and a hot dog cart.

There seemed to be a lot of attendees, in between workshops the plaza performance area was really full, and the workshops I attended were packed. I brought a little cart that converts to a chair that I attached my double tenor gig bag with my uke and music stand, glad I did since a couple of workshops and plaza were so full I had to use it. I stepped into the Paul Simon tribute, but it wasn't very dynamic with just a bass player, so I moved on.

I was planning to stay until 6 pm, but about 3 pm I found I had seen plenty and tired out, I left. All-in-all, I had a good time.

Last edited:
good times

We had a great time at the festival.
Arrived early and avoided the problems Mike experienced.
Attended workshops with Christopher Davis-Shannon, Sarah Maisel, Milo, and Jim Beloff.
We got quite a bit out of all of them. Full ukulele immersion.

Rutts for lunch, mixed plate of boneless beef short ribs and rice royal.
One of the best meals I've ever eaten at an event. Generous portions at a good price and the taste was FANTASTIC. I had heard about Rutts for years, now I'm a believer.

We caught performances by Herb Ota Jr and Bryan Tolentino, great music and lots of laughs as they played off each other. Unfortunately we waited too long and most of their CDs had sold out. We did get one and they were gracious enough to sign it for us.

We also stayed to the very end and got the entire Beloff performance which was outstanding, I just love Jim and Liz singing and playing together. Jim's Ukulele Concerto with the sting quartet got a well deserved standing ovation. What a treat.

To add to such a wonderful day we won an ukulele! Its a gorgeous Nalu mahogany tenor with padauk trim binding and mother of pear inlays, it looks and sound stunning, Thank you!

Amazing time!

Great time and great classes. Learned so much, Had Rendang for lunch. Amazing. Hoping for some Caribbean/African and Flamenco classes in the future. Will have to make sure I stay in town for future festivals. This was my first and I loved it. I am so lucky I am local.

Had a great time as usual. Bit cooler and damper than before which was nice. Better set up with the additional chairs in the outdoor stage area. My highlight was taking the Conversation with Bass player Bakatahi (sp). When do you ever get a chance to jam with a Bass player like him? “Diamonds on the Soles of his Feet” and more that I knew!
Hubby plays same Ohana Bass he was using — I told him on the drive home I expect more than I’ve been hearing. He seems to think that'll Never happen.�� Oh well, once is okay too.

Took both versions of Hawaiian turn-arounds and vamps. Both were good and fun.

Had a great time! loved the workshops. Herb and Bryan are really funny. I didn't expect that. the vendor area was cool - picked up a few things such as a t-shirt and some stickers. Got to play a Kanile'a platinum pineapple! wow. loved the Sarah and Craig version of Jim Beloff's song that he wrote for his wife. Really sweet. It was fun seeing all these ukulele youtube personalities and teachers. Great content, great talent. Great job, Mitch!

Looking forward to next year,
Rich

Another great festival in the books! I do have a wish list for 2020: Add Louisa Hall, bring back Marlowe Teichman (she lives in LA now), and a TATTOO BOOTH! Someone that can do flash ukulele tattoos.

Big mahalo to all who came! Switched some things up this year, experimented with a few ideas and will adjust accordingly for 2020 (save the date: Sept 26) but glad to hear you all had a good time overall.

Yes I know Marlowe lives here now, I'm the one who invited her to come Saturday; unfortunately by the time she announced her move to LA, everything had been planned and scheduled out. A tattoo booth is highly impractical and there are health permits and issues to consider so I wouldn't count on seeing one at the festival any time soon.

Once again, THANK YOU everyone, see you next year!!!

p.s. Mike, that "just a bass player" guy is Bakithi Kumalo, one of the most respected bassists in the world, workshop attendees loved how he engaged and encouraged everyone. https://easyreadernews.com/ukulele-...-of-graceland-fame-brings-his-u-bass-to-fest/

P.S. Mike, that "just a bass player" guy is Bakithi Kumalo, one of the most respected bassists in the world, workshop attendees loved how he engaged and encouraged everyone. https://easyreadernews.com/ukulele-...-of-graceland-fame-brings-his-u-bass-to-fest/

I meant that there were no other instruments, only a bass. I was expecting a band, especially when it comes to Paul Simon music. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Top Bottom