Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Classical Music-Linear or Re-Entrant, which is best?

Default Playing Classical Music-Linear or Re-Entrant, which is best?

I would appreciate opinions from those who play classical music (and I donít mean Elvis or Chuck Berry) on their Ukes as to which is the preferred string setups.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I don't play classical, but linear does give you more range.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Hi
    I am a classical guitarist and play linear.
    In general, I find playing classical renditions on Uke very unrewarding.
    Daniel Ho, however, makes some classical pieces sound fantastic
    Ron

If the piece was written for Renaissance guitar, use the tuning of the original four-course instrument.

Otherwise, play it the way it was originally arranged. There are MANY examples of both tunings.
    Concert: Lanikai LU-21C (Aquila Nygut)
    Soprano: Kala KA-PWS (Southcoast Machete)
    Baritone: Kala KA-SBG (C: Southcoast LL-NW, A: TBD)
    Tenor: Kala ATP-CTG Aquila Nygut

I’ve only played classical with reentrant tuning since that’s what I was playing at the time, as taught to me by an extremely talented classically trained guitarist. The instructor was always so laid back when I’d ask questions like that. As long as I had proper technique (and didn’t use a uke strap), all was good lol. I don’t know that there’s a right or wrong way to anything anymore, especially after seeing how differently even some pros play.

I am not asking this to put anyone on the spot or be judgmental, and I do not want to force anyone to justify themselves, because they do not have to. I'm a believer that people can do whatever they want and that they do not need a reason to do it. The thing that I wonder is why one would choose a ukulele to play classical music, which in all likelihood was not in any way composed with ukuele in mind. Ukulele just isn't a classical instrument. Is it the challenge, the novelty, or that one does not feel confident learning to play an instrument more associated with classical music? Is it that one is called to legitimize the ukuele as an instrument more associated with classical music? I am asking this because I myself am conflicted. I'm becoming more and more interested in bluegrass music, and I am seriously thinking about concentrating on an instrument more associated with bluegrass instead of making a futile attempt to some how make the the ukuele fit into bluegrass. So I ask the question to find out why one would go this route. Perhaps it would help me decide which fork in the road to take in my own journey.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-30-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
    Hi
    I am a classical guitarist and play linear.
    In general, I find playing classical renditions on Uke very unrewarding.
    Daniel Ho, however, makes some classical pieces sound fantastic
    Ron
    As does John King and Samantha Muir and many others. I don’t think you can be comparative but must see the Uke as a seperate instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I am not asking this to put anyone on the spot or be judgmental, and I do not want to force anyone to justify themselves, because they do not have to. I'm a believer that people can do whatever they want and that they do not need a reason to do it. The thing that I wonder is why one would choose a ukulele to play classical music, which in all likelihood was not in any way composed with ukuele in mind. Ukulele just isn't a classical instrument. Is it the challenge, the novelty, or that one does not feel confident learning to play an instrument more associated with classical music? Is it that one is called to legitimize the ukuele as an instrument more associated with classical music? I am asking this because I myself am conflicted. I'm becoming more and more interested in bluegrass music, and I am seriously thinking about concentrating on an instrument more associated with bluegrass instead of making a futile attempt to some how make the the ukuele fit into bluegrass. So I ask the question to find out why one would go this route. Perhaps it would help me decide which fork in the road to take in my own journey.
    This is actually a very good question but I think that each who wish to do so might have different answers from each other. In my case:
    I like classical and traditional music ( I’ve used the term classical but should have more correctly added Traditional to the title of this thread).
    The deterioration of my left wrist meant that I could no longer play guitar(that’s the reason I came to the Ukulele).
    I have alway been a decent fingerstyle player.

P.S. I have always preferred linear. All my tenors and my Baritone are tuned linear. However, my Collings and the with the purchase of my new Hoffmann ML concert I thought to dedicate these instruments to classical and traditional (Scots/Irish tunes) music. Those instruments are tuned re-entrant.
    Also many of the YouTube videos I’ve seen the players seem to be using re-entrant tuning but my perception may be incorrect to think that this is the best way to go.
    Also I also approach things like Cary and believe there is no right or wrong way, just your way that works best for you.
    Last edited by hollisdwyer; 10-30-2018 at 02:47 PM.

I do not play classical, but I play fingerstyle instrumentals almost exclusively. I play re-entrant. The high G string becomes more of an accompaniment string than a melody string; not unlike Jake's older compositions without Jake's ability. It works for more modern simpler music.

Unless you plan on incorporating a campanella style of play like John King, I'm not sure if you will utilize the high G string enough to compensate for the loss of range. Since classical is so structured, you will not be strumming or playing a constant fingering pattern where the high G string can be played as a drone.

If I ever play classical on a ukulele, did a little on guitar 50 years ago, I'm pretty sure I would play linear.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I am not asking this to put anyone on the spot or be judgmental, and I do not want to force anyone to justify themselves, because they do not have to. I'm a believer that people can do whatever they want and that they do not need a reason to do it. The thing that I wonder is why one would choose a ukulele to play classical music, which in all likelihood was not in any way composed with ukuele in mind.
    I'm only playing for a hobby, not to perform for others. So why not play classical music on a ukulele?
    What would be the right instrument for playing classical music? (Especially when playing on your own, not as part of an ensemble.)

I play a variety of music, but do play some classical. If I'm having fun, I figure it's all OK, even if the composer didn't write it for ukulele. Good music is good music.

I love the diversity of opinion here.

BTW, there is a lot of diversity in bluegrass, too, unless you're just focused on traditional bluegrass. Offhand, I can't think of an established bluegrass musician who uses a ukulele for bluegrass, but next time I fall down the YouTube rabbit hole, maybe I'll see if I can find something. Could be fun.

Thread Information