Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HARD to find it -- 6 string a/e baritone (NOT guitarlele)

Here's the link but it's a guilele
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Here's the link but it's a guilele
    10Q in the extreme, Jim-san sensei. U R correct. It's a guilele so I am still on the hunt.

Since you are looking for a relatively rare instrument,
    Since a baritone-scale guitarlele is not very difficult to find, and can be relatively inexpensive,
    Since strings are cheap,
    Since replacement nuts and saddle bones are cheap,
    ...why not buy a 20" scale guitarlele and replace the nut and saddle (and strings) to create the string spacing you are looking for? You'll have six tuning pegs on the headstock. You'll have six places to affix the strings at the bridge. You'll save a lot of money. You'll probably come in under budget.

You could even try writing someone like Caramel, to see if they will create the nut and bridge you are looking for and send them on one of their A/E Guitarleles. They responded quickly when I had questions. Shipping took a lot longer.

If they can't do it, and if you don't want to try filing a nut blank, a luthier should not charge too much for that service.
    Last edited by Futurethink; 11-05-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Hi Bellgamin,

While both of these are above your budgeted range, the hunt was fun! Now I want one!

Here is the Reverb link: https://reverb.com/item/15842426-mus...17-cedar-maple

There is one at Elderly as well, just came in on consignment. Island brand... I know you enjoy the hunt, but let me know if you want the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshin View Post
    Hi Bellgamin,

While both of these are above your budgeted range, the hunt was fun! Now I want one!

Here is the Reverb link: https://reverb.com/item/15842426-mus...17-cedar-maple

There is one at Elderly as well, just came in on consignment. Island brand... I know you enjoy the hunt, but let me know if you want the link.
    For better or worse this instrument is a Guitarlele even if its called a six string baritone ukulele.

The instrument that was requested only has 4 courses of strings with 2 doubles.
    6 string tenor ukuleles are rare enough and 6 string baritone ukuleles really are like hens teeth.

Bellgamin had actually found himself a 6 string Baritone ukulele but wanted to spend less money even though the price was completely reasonable. He's bought himself a 6 string tenor ukulele now anyway.
    Last edited by anthonyg; 11-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Bellgamin had actually found himself a 6 string Baritone ukulele but wanted to spend less money even though the price was completely reasonable. He's bought himself a 6 string tenor ukulele now anyway.
    BUT the 6-string tenor does not erase the fact that I am seeking a 6-string, non-guitarlele, baritone uke.

By the way, I'm considering a brief trip to Maui to play the Mele 6-string barry. If its sound sends me somewhere over the rainbow, I may buy it. Should that eventuality actually eventuate, perhaps my troubles will truly melt like lemon drops.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    BUT the 6-string tenor does not erase the fact that I am seeking a 6-string, non-guitarlele, baritone uke.

By the way, I'm considering a brief trip to Maui to play the Mele 6-string barry. If its sound sends me somewhere over the rainbow, I may buy it. Should that eventuality actually eventuate, perhaps my troubles will truly melt like lemon drops.
    I just had a quick look at Mele's website for the fun of it and they also have a solid Mahogany 6 string Baritone for a starting price of $800.

Bargain. No one is going to do better.

Thread Information