Bending Iron Suggestions

Parto

Reaction score
So to date I have used a fox style bender I built to bend sides. I've managed not to break any sides so far but, having watched Beau's videos on laminated sides and solid kerfing, have decided to try some hand bending.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which version to get. I have been leaning more towards the Luthier Bench version rather than Ibex but they both cost over £200 and I've heard the luthier bench version can take quite a while to arrive. Does anyone have any experience with any cheaper Chinese versions?

Another option would be to try and build one (if similar results can be got to the commercial versions). I don't have access to a torch (and it looks scary) so has anyone built using easier charcoal starter or bulb in aluminium pipe?

Thanks Beau that is the one I was leaning towards. I think I will go for the aluminium version and save £50.

If your budget permits, this is the bending iron to buy. It's a stout unit that seems to be well made. It's not easy to peek inside so I don't know anything about the electrical components but everything that can be seen speaks of heft and quality. The business end is solid aluminum (or bronze) and is massive enough to accurately maintain the temperature that is set. The control pot has a dial that indicates degrees C but I've never paid attention to its accuracy. Instead, I monitor the temperature with an electronic thermometer. The hole in the top is about 1/4" diameter and 1" deep. I use a short piece of aluminum rod to jam in the end of a wire probe that feeds an electronic thermometer so that the temp can be accurately set in degrees F.

44768074925_9852df6ac6_z.jpg

I got the "guitar" version and it has worked out fine.

It took a month or two for it to arrive from England. As noted in postings in other lutherie forums, you won't hear much from the seller until it lands on your doorstep. It's a small business, maybe just one guy, and his preferred activity seems to be making and shipping a superior product.

Ok luthiers-bench one ordered (guitar version in aluminium). Actually got an email from him straight away saying delivery would be in around a week.

I gave away my StewMac electric bender. Just didn't have the patience to sit and wait for it to warm up. The old pipe and propane torch work best for me when I want to touch something up or make an unique bend ( like headstock bindings).

I gave away my StewMac electric bender. Just didn't have the patience to sit and wait for it to warm up. The old pipe and propane torch work best for me when I want to touch something up or make an unique bend ( like headstock bindings).
I gave mine away as well and now I use the pipe with an electric hot air gun...I found you can heat up an electric bender with the propane lamp in a few minutes while it's switched on if you don't like to wait :)

Top Bottom