Season 351 - Life Cycle

Primary school courtship.
Mary Sloane punches me in the stomach.
Annie Murray hits me on the head with a cricket ball.
Both of them were in love with me... or so I was told.

How about a little courtship on the telephone?
Not a modern day smartphone, but a 1900 vintage phone.
Just call your chosen one and sing: Hello my Baby

Hopefully I can manage something this week. In Barcelona these days and did something very scary tonight. Took my little electric ukulele to a full blown blues jam. A lot of top players there; guitarists, piano players etc. And then me with the ukulele. Playing electric blues. First time I played the uke in public. Was quite nervous but it was fun. The singing went down well and the uke playing was... ok. Well it was a first. Second time will be better and third time better again. Would never have done it without playing here first over the last few months. Cheers.

Wow ... you're one brave man, Mads! Kudos!

This one is coming in a bit late, but it was done on time. Logistics of across the pond collaboration and falling asleep early made us tardy in getting it up here. This is an original Griffin/Latham composition from lifetimes ago that I thought fit the theme so well. Jon brought the perfect energy to my basic parts and did a fantastic clip for it. Thanks for hosting Keith. There have been some great entries so far and i'm sure there are tons yet to come ~

My latest song for this week is a combination of Tuesday and Today's theme, since it is about the horrors of adolescent courtship.

If some fairy godmother offered me the chance to go back to being 15 or else continue on into my old age, I would have no hesitation in refusing the first option. Adolescence was a very unhappy time for me as I am sure it was for many of you.

So, how about a little bit of Chuck Berry inspired "Rock 'n' Roll" ? (Backing by Band in a Box)

Abracadabra

Day 4 - Courtship: Abracadabra. Creaky chair muscled in on the big finish (>_<)

Not sure where courtship ends and bare naked lust begins in this one, but not sure that anyone does really :)

Courtship

I’ve always loved this one - it encapsulates that feeling when you know the chemistry is working and you’re on the verge of something very special.

This McCartney song captures the feeling of "love at first sight" infatuation.

Lonely young Ralf wrote this one decades ago. And songwriting tip: If you can only come up with one verse, just steal lines from songs you like to "write" a couple more verses :p

I think this one can work for both/either a courtship or marriage song, although the courtship is rather devious. I'll try to do another marriage song tomorrow. Written by the great Bill Anderson and by another great but not as well known songwriter, Don Wayne. Wayne also wrote "The Ghost of Jim Bob Wilson" that I did two weeks ago. Recorded by Lefty Frizzell. Trying to sing this song gave me a whole new respect for his vocal talent.

This is a song about the state of marriage, rather than the act of marriage. This was by a wife-husband act called Fleming & John. I was lucky enough to be at the record store one day in the late '90s when the staff played their great album "The Way We Are". I immediately bought the album and played the crap out of it. As far as I know, they never made another album after that.

I think we're well into Thursday across the pond and only a few hours off here so Here is my marriage song, Keith :)

I thought about this one for teenagers, but decided meeting the parents for Sunday dinner put it more squarely in the courtship category. Learned a few years ago at the request of a colleague and since in the regular rotation...

My In-Laws Made An Outlaw Out Of Me

Day 5: Marriage. 'Cos when you marry, you not just marrying a person, you're marrying a family, right?

Here's a song Jim Lauderdale did with Dr. Ralph Stanley. I did this one a few months ago on my Duke 10 banjo uke, but decided to spare Keith any more of that! lol This time I did it half uke, half Finnish uke, aka mandolin. I'm still pretty new on mandolin, so it's a challenge for me to switch to it mid song, I've gotta kinda thing about what I'm doing on it, so jumping in mid-stream is tough

And the preacher asked me if I would take this woman to be my awful wedded wife and I answered Pie Glue
Don't think I will have time to do one on marriage but here is one I have already prepared.
It is a bit of stream of consciousness uke playing while doing a rant of the Gregory Corso poem Marriage
Courtship in cemeteries, meeting the parents and needing the bathroom, the wedding, the honeymoon at Niagara.
Kept awake by children, fatherhood, How poverty and affluence influence marriage. Unmarried at 60 and pee stains
on your underwear are some of the topics covered.

Indulge me please... it is a bit of classic beatnik poetry after all :)

Top Bottom