Season 351 - Life Cycle

One for Saturday . Death and Dying. Waft of Harp ,two mics one concert CK-10S Ohana.

This song is based on a folk belief that excessive mourning prevents the soul of the dead fully leaving the mortal plane and moving on. Some of these folk beliefs had something in them as excessive mourning is unhealthy for the living and prevents them moving on. The last verse has it spot on. The video is a selection of pictures of autumn and I've turned some into abstract images.

Death

I was already well on the way to being an atheist by the time Depeche Mode released this one in 1984 - this one helped me a little further along that path.

Last edited:
I had to work half a day this morning, so when I got home I just banged out three death songs without really practicing. Here's #1.

Death #2. I remember when this song came out when I was only about 6 years old. One of the first songs I ever memorized just from hearing it on the radio. I had no idea at the time that the girl singing it was only 12.

Last edited:
Death #3. This one was new to me, and I'll have to keep up on it for the family reunion. My dad is always asking me to do something by Hawkshaw Hawkins.

Death

I had the best grandad that ever walked this earth. I was in my mid twenties when he died and it took me a good while to come to terms with the loss. At the time I wrote this poem about him and in the back of my mind I always wondered whether I might one day put it to music. Today is that day...

Last edited:
Last one this week from me. This Jimmy C. Newman song from the early 60's popped up on my You Tube tonight that I haven't heard in quite awhile, but it fits the Saturday theme, so did a very quick work up, which included a key change from the record for me, and yes Keith, just for you, I did this in one take.......

Like I say in the video, if I am given the opportunity to sing about dying, I am ALWAYS going to play this delightful Jim Carroll gem.
ALWAYS

And this is a song I have played two other times...and just put together that our protagonist does in fact die, after getting sauced on bourbon and taking off in an overpowered, poor handling...certainly inadequately braking behemoth of automobilia past. Because no, you don’t hitchhike with Jesus.
So yea, he is dead. Concord is NOT happening.

Yeah, got another done :)

Oh and TCK I LOVE that song “The Curve”. Because you introduced me to it! Never would have heard it if not for you and our wonderful Seasons! Maybe I will even get to making my own cover of it tomorrow. Wouldn’t that be cool!

This is really the only thing I could do today. As it contains elements of courtship, separation, and (for many) death, I hope it fits.

The photo in the background shows my grandfather (top left), his four brothers, mother & father. All five of the lads fought in the war. One was killed. One was badly injured and never really recovered. None of them ever spoke about it.

For free sunday another courtship song. Tammy from the film Tammy and the Bachelor.
I already played a short instrumental version of this song for season 314, but this time, I asked my french internet acquaintance Régine to sing it.
So here is Tammy with a slight french accent:

Top Bottom