Random orbital sander

Thanks. Looks like you only use Trizact on the final coat before buffing.I see postings about finishers doing power sanding on earlier coats and that interests me. --Bob

Thanks. Looks like you only use Trizact on the final coat before buffing.I see postings about finishers doing power sanding on earlier coats and that interests me. --Bob

Yep- I've never had much luck with power sanding so I block sand too 1500 then triz 3000 and 5000, then buff.

Some buff earlier but i prefer to sand more as less damage can be done by sanding over buffing....sorta.

I am also a Festool ETS 125 sander user and use it every day. With the heap vacuum attached it helps save the lungs and is not that loud. You can turn it on and off on the sander head, vary the speed at the sander, adjust the vacuum pressure, do thickness sanding as well as finish sanding depending on paper grit. Couldn't work without it. Expensive, but after a lifetime of buying tools and equipment the old saying applies "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

I often slow a random-orbit sander down when working on veneered materials to reduce the likelihood of sand-through. I also run at a lower speed when using the sander to smooth a finish. Although it adds a bit more cost to the machine, variable speed is well worth having. Whether you are a hobbyist, woodworker, or automotive detailer, an orbital sander is a great tool to have.

I have an orbital sander and I'm satisfied. For the projects I do, this sander does a great job.What I can say about Random orbital sander and palm sander... Actually there are some differences. First of all it depends a lot on the projects you have. Second, Orbitals are better for working on large pieces, whereas Palm Sanders is best for small pieces. Orbitals will get bigger sanding jobs done much more quickly, whereas Palm Sanders gives a much smoother result, and in my case when I have to do a project in a limited time I use orbital sander. Another moment that is important to me is the power of this sander and in this case orbital sander usually rotate around 12,000 orbits per minute. My sander have adjustable speed control settings and going at a slower pace may be useful if you’re working on a particularly tricky area and you want greater control, but a faster pace will obviously enable you to work much more quickly – so having the choice will make the tool much more versatile. And another thing that is of major importance is the price. An orbital sander costs about $ 100, but as for me it is worth taking something more expensive that will last longer than others.I personally took from https://www.bestorbitalsander.com/. I used this inside of an apartment .I don't think you can really avoid Dust though. Dust is small and is hard to contain.if you must work in an apartment like me, I suggest to do it in a small room and close all the doors. That will make clean up easier and contain the mess.I bought Mestool brand 125 mm 8 holes paper P-58 gold sandpaper Velcro_Overall, the sander working really well. It nicely finished my table and I was really pleased with the results.

Mirka is the best that I have used. Little pricey :(
4000 - 10000/min

Body sanding is a very difficult and time-consuming process. The result of the work depends on the quality of the preparation and the materials used. It is best to use the highest quality sanding machine for sanding to avoid damage and various body defects. I recommend that you read more info and sanding machine and collect all the necessary list of quality tools to get the best results. In my practice, there were many failed jobs, in which the main reason was poor-quality tools. Their problem was that with long-term use, the surface of the tool became uneven and negatively affected the shape of the body, which made it necessary to redo everything. Be careful and good luck!

Last edited:
I use a Rigid single speed nearly every day. Never forget the time I sanded all the way through a rosette with it! Some jobs are better left to hand sanding, however, I do like my ROS. When the panels come out of the drum sander, they have long sanding marks that don't come out by hand easily, but the ROS with some fresh sand paper makes real short work of it. The dust collection on the Rigid is surprisingly good, too, and it's possible to just hook it up to the vacuum, though it's a little cumbersome that way. I do my finish sanding all by hand. I'd be afraid to go right through the finish with an ROS.

Black and Decker Mouse only £20 on Amazon ...works fine very light weight and comfy to hold...hook and loop pads and yes! I got one :)

Last edited:
They list the black and decker as the best. It is not the best. I owned it, might still own it, haven't seen nor looked for it in years, though, because I bought the Ridgid further down the list. Much better ROS in the Rigid, my only complaint is the dust bag connection has gotten loose over years of use. The black and decker dust bag did not collect any dust, and it had a weird shape to the port, so you couldn't hook it up to your vacuum, either. It also didn't work as well. Consumer reports put the rigid at the top of the list for plain old sanding through paint. If you got stuff to remove be it paint or stock, the Rigid will go through it in a hurry with fresh sand paper. Usually only takes me a few passes with it on my sides straight out of the thickness sander and those long sanding marks are gone. Now that the guys here are extolling the virutes of variable speed in polishing a finish, of course I want one of those, too.

Top Bottom