Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Amplifiers

Default Small Amplifiers

I have two or three ukes with passive pickups, and I'm just thinking about getting a small amplifier. I know they are available as battery-powered and plug-in. This won't be used for public performances - just at home.

So, any suggestions about what would be a usable amplifier? Amplifiers are not my area of expertise.

From Amazon -

I'm leaning toward this Finder.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Fender-Fron...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://smile.amazon.com/Danelectro-...5%3A2470955011
    https://smile.amazon.com/Fender-Mini...5%3A2470955011
    https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Am...5%3A2470955011
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 11-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

If you're not going to be gigging, why does it have to be small? I too am very ignorant of electronics and what I did was grab a bigger amp, a Blackstar ID30TVP. It is supposedly a smaller amp, according to the company, but it is the size of a valise and it is loud. I have only played it at the minimal loudness setting. It has a bunch of settings so that I can play ukelele stuff with distortion or reverb or whatever. It is a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    If you're not going to be gigging, why does it have to be small? I too am very ignorant of electronics and what I did was grab a bigger amp, a Blackstar ID30TVP. It is supposedly a smaller amp, according to the company, but it is the size of a valise and it is loud. I have only played it at the minimal loudness setting. It has a bunch of settings so that I can play ukelele stuff with distortion or reverb or whatever. It is a blast.
    A large amp would come with a large price. : )

As I said, I have some ukes with a pickup, and I thought I'd see how they would sound with an amp. This is strictly for my mediocre playing, by myself, at home. Spending $300 for an amp is out of the question. When I get to the professional level of playing, I'll get a professional level amp.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    As I said, I have some ukes with a pickup, and I thought I'd see how they would sound with an amp. This is strictly for my mediocre playing, by myself, at home. Spending $300 for an amp is out of the question.
    Just realize that how your ukes sound with an amp is highly dependent on the amp. If you live anywhere near a decent sized music store, I'd recommend taking one or more of your ukes with pickup to the store and trying out several amps. If you get a good store and find someone helpful you can learn a lot and figure out what your taste is.

If you can't do that, well here is what I know.

I have a Roland Micro Cube (roughly $100-140 and can run on battery) and a Fishman Loudbox Mini, which is the $300 amp that is out of your question

The Fishman is head and shoulders above the Roland for basic acoustic tone - in my research it was the cheapest amp with universally positive reviews online. If you reach the point where one of these is in the picture you can often find a sale at the big box retailers that will knock 10-20% off the price. Or you could buy used - there are two available in my local classifieds, and Guitar Center has a used one for $150. If cash flow isn't a problem, I'd consider buying one used and reselling it after you've satisfied your curiosity - these should be relatively easy to sell on your local classifieds because they have a good reputation and appeal to guitar players as well as uke players.

The Roland has a bunch of modeling features that allow you to imitate a bunch of different amp setups - its designed for an electric guitar. It is a lot of fun, but it doesn't take long to figure out that the tone isn't as clean, clear, and rich as with the more expensive amp.
    Blackbird Clara
    Concert Flea
    Pono MB
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke (concert)
    Gold Tone Resouke
    Hadean Uke-Bass
    Gold Tone Microbass
    Deering Goodtime Special (5-string banjo)

Buckle Up
    http://ut.zerofatalities.com/

Jerry,
    Are you committed to staying within the $30.00 - $50.00 price range you are looking at?
    I found an as new but used Roland Mobile Cube for $100.00.
    I am quite pleased with its performance in the home and it has adjustability that can be geared towards an acoustic/electric instrument.
    Not the end all beat all, but worth a look.
    The Dude Abides.

I have the Roland Mobile AC amp and I got it from Amazon. It is AC (for Acoustic) and geared towards a natural acoustic sound instead of an electric guitar. It’s a great little amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-Batter...5NL&ref=plSrch

I started with something very small, you could almost clip it to your belt. It sounded dreadful. I returned it the next day. The next one, was the Yamaha, which at $199(Amazon), is outside your budget but it is a very nice small amp that is powered by batteries and the included power supply. The thing about this amp is that it is designed for acoustic instruments and models different types of microphones and, most importantly, sounds good.
    If you just want louder, spend $50. If you want louder and decent sound, stretch your budget to acquire an amp that is worthwhile IMO.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I have everyone of those little mini amps and I do not suggest them at all. The Fender 10w for $60 might be OK, but the 15w version would be better for $10 more, BUT, if you want to buy an amp to use at home just because your uke has a pickup, don't waste your money. When the time comes that you need an amp for a gig, only then should you buy, and be prepared to spend around $150 to $200, and even more depending how loud and good you want the amp to sound.

The leader of our group uses a 120w Fishman Loudbox Artist ($575), after her 60w Loudbox Mini died ($330), I have a 50w Crate Limo I used for guitar, that's big and heavy and over 20 years ago cost $350. I now use a Phil Jones Double Four 70w bass amp since I started playing bass uke with the group, but it works well for my ukes, it's over $500 with battery and is extremely small and portable. If I ever have a uke gig in a large outdoor area or in an arena, I have a dual box 200/250w Carvin MB15/115MBE that I also mainly use for bass.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

If youre going for one of those micro amps, consider this one:

https://www.amazon.com/VOX-Guitar-Co.../dp/B071K8MRDV

Having tried a lot of these small amps, I find this one of the best as it has 3 channels (clean, distortion, high gain), has effects and drum machine built in

https://www.amazon.com/VOX-Guitar-Co.../dp/B071K8MRDV

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    , BUT, if you want to buy an amp to use at home just because your uke has a pickup, don't waste your money. When the time comes that you need an amp for a gig, only then should you buy, and be prepared to spend around $150 to $200, and even more depending how loud and good you want the amp to sound.
    This. ^^^^^^^

I have a Roland Microcrap, waste of money. Their StreetCube is better, but not by much. I’d start at their 330 if I was in the market for one. And yes, I’ve owned or played through all 3, and then some.
    Last edited by Kekani; 11-04-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Thread Information