FS: Brand New Sailor Brand Custom Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocean Song

Reaction score
FS: Like New Sailor Brand Custom Uke

PRICE REDUCED TO $325 incl shipping
Would also be interested in trading for a tenor or baritone uke or small size classical guitar

Sailor Brand Custom Uke
Like new
Solid cedar top
Solid poplar back & sides with mahogany veneer
Abalone rosette and fret markers
Soprano scale on concert body
Action set at 2.20mm at 12th fret
No case but will be packed securely in the original packaging I received

I ordered this uke from Uke Republic and received it a couple months ago to replace my low G concert uke but I'm finding that it sounds much better on high G. But the amount of time I play high G does not justify my keeping this lovely uke. So I've decided to keep my current low G uke and let this one go.

Price reduced to $325 incl shipping. Or make me an offer.
(I paid $554 for the customization - soprano scale on concert body plus abalone rosette and strap button.)

Please email me at annkoh.lac@gmail.com for faster response.

20181103_163549.jpg
20181103_161921.jpg
20181103_162259.jpg
20181103_162004.jpg

Last edited:
Price reduced

Would also be interested in trading for a tenor or baritone uke or small size classical guitar
(I paid $554 for the customization - soprano scale on concert body plus abalone rosette and strap button.)

Last edited:
...Like new
Solid cedar top
Solid poplar back & sides with mahogany veneer...

I imagine this has been pointed out before, but a solid poplar back & sides with mahogany veneer is, by definition, a Laminate.

It has a laminate mahogany body with a solid cedar top. That's not a bad thing. If it sounds good, it is good.

It's a nice looking ukulele.

I imagine this has been pointed out before, but a solid poplar back & sides with mahogany veneer is, by definition, a Laminate.

That's an interesting point, and I found the "solid/veneer" description confusing. Sailor calls it solid because the body is made of solid wood. A thin veneer is placed on top of that for appearance. A laminate would have layers of wood through and through. It seems like splitting hairs. I read a review (which I can't find) that said it was a solid wood body with the veneer, so someone else considers it solid. Furniture is often made from solid wood with a veneer of something fancy on top.

From Sailor -
Solid Spruce Top
Solid Poplar Back & Sides - covered w/ Highly Figured Cherry Veneer
Solid Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fretboard & Bridge
http://www.sailoruke.com/sailor-brand-spc-s.html

That's an interesting point, and I found the "solid/veneer" description confusing. Sailor calls it solid because the body is made of solid wood. A thin veneer is placed on top of that for appearance. A laminate would have layers of wood through and through. It seems like splitting hairs. I read a review (which I can't find) that said it was a solid wood body with the veneer, so someone else considers it solid. Furniture is often made from solid wood with a veneer of something fancy on top.

From Sailor -
Solid Spruce Top
Solid Poplar Back & Sides - covered w/ Highly Figured Cherry Veneer
Solid Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fretboard & Bridge
http://www.sailoruke.com/sailor-brand-spc-s.html

Taylor does something similar on its Mexican made guitars.

They take a thicker core of solid tulip poplar and laminate higher end tone wood veneers to either side. They call it "layered" and often catch flack for that.

Oh - sorry. I copied what was on the card that came with the uke. At any rate, it is nice sounding. And nicely made.

20181216_192333.jpg

Last edited:

It has a laminate mahogany body with a solid cedar top.
By definition, that may be true, but this is a very different thing than what is typically meant by "laminate mahagony". I've written before that there is nothing wrong with poplar as a tonewood tonally. It is less used simply because it is very plain visually. The solid+veneer is a way to get the tone of solid wood and the look of exotics for cheaper than all exotics.

I agree with Jim. Functionally it is not a laminate.

Only problem is I think it’s a poor marketing choice. The OP might find it worthwhile to do a video so it can be seen and heard.

Am I right in recalling reading this is a LoPrinzi product?

I agree with Jim. Functionally it is not a laminate.

Only problem is I think it’s a poor marketing choice. The OP might find it worthwhile to do a video so it can be seen and heard.

Am I right in recalling reading this is a LoPrinzi product?

If you price your typical Sailor Brand vs your typical LoPrinzi, I think you can see the marketing appeal. The SB is much cheaper, partly due to materials, maybe partly due to construction (just guessing, I really have no idea about that), and yes, maybe partly due to the perception of "all solid is better".

It is well known that SB is made by the same group that makes LoPrinzi but beyond that, not much is known, like who exactly is doing the building.

It is all marketing speak. You still have a veneer of wood glued to a different wood. The tone of said sandwich will be different than either solid poplar or solid mahogany.

I have no problem with the maker pointing out that it is a veneer of mahogany over a solid poplar base. For a better tone. (If it does produce a better tone.) But it is still a laminate of: Wood-glue-wood.

I agree, it may be a little better tone than a thin plywood with a veneer of a nice figured wood. I can't help but wonder how closely the two woods vibrate and differ with expansion & contraction from humidity and temperature. Whereas a ply would be more stable.

Price reduced to $325 incl shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom