Pignose PGU-200MH Concert Ukulele - Review

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for a very informative review, Barry, on this very interesting instrument! I recall that the band Chicago's guitarist, Terry Kath, was also a fan of the original little Pignose amp back in the mid-seventies; in fact he had a bunch of Pignose stickers affixed to the face of his Telecaster. Your review tells me that perhaps we still have a ways to go when it comes to perfecting the concept of a ukulele with a built-in amp and speaker-- something that you could "wander" with and have a really nice, clean, room-to-spare kind of sound. I've long been fascinated by the concept, but so far haven't been "bowled over" by what's out there.

I contacted Pignose here in the US today following your review, and was shocked to receive an answer on a Sunday! They don’t carry these in the US. I asked that if they change their minds, that they let me know.

I have a couple of novelty ukuleles, but this seems like a great practice ukulele for the evenings when everyone else is in bed at our home.

I read the review because this post caught my attention. Not long ago I was looking at the Pignose bass with the same built in amp system that I thought I would use for the hospital gigs we do roaming from room to room, but it was longer scale than I like, so I bought the guitar version and converted it to a bass. I discovered the same problem the reviewer had, the amp was not powerful enough and the tone was poor, so much so that I ended up having the guts taken out and covering the cavities with pickguards. It actually turned out to be a very nice little bass guitar.

Pignose done 800.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I adore that bass!

I contacted Pignose here in the US today following your review, and was shocked to receive an answer on a Sunday! They don’t carry these in the US. I asked that if they change their minds, that they let me know.

I have a couple of novelty ukuleles, but this seems like a great practice ukulele for the evenings when everyone else is in bed at our home.

It's a very new release and I think Aria are still working out their distribution. I HAVE however seen them on those Global stores (Rakuten?)

Top Bottom