Johnson Digital Angle Locator

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'll be starting on another banjo uke, and I want to make sure the angle of the neck to the drum is about 3°. I'll measure the angles on my other banjo ukes and see what they are. One of them was 3°.

Looking in Lowe's today, I saw this angle finder, and I think that will do the trick. When I determine the exact angle, I can use this little magnetic device to set the angle of the table saw blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Leve...pID=51NEdc0bTJL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Obviously, the drum is round, so the attachment point of the neck must match that curve. Rather than play around with the actual neck and mess it up, I'm going to make a spacer out of a piece of oak. I'll cut a curve into that and then cut the angle to attach the neck to it. If I mess it up, I'll try with another piece of oak.

The first banjo uke I made has a neck that's virtually at a zero angle to the drum, so the action is too high.

I'm getting a tailpiece from Stewart-MacDonald tomorrow, so I'll have all the parts.

You can get a free app for your phone or iPad that will do the same thing ... look up "clinometer" in the App Store.

Top Bottom