Getting a high gloss finish - Short Video

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
The question I get asked most by both aspiring and experienced builders is how to get a flawless high gloss finish.

Truth is there are no short cuts. It's all in the prep from how well the timber is finished and pore filled before any clear is applied, to your chosen finish and your application technique. Get those right and you're laughing.

I applied a preliminary sanding sealer that was level sanded and then several clear build coats, followed by a very thourogh level sanding and a final couple thin flow coats.

Now there is very minimal work left to wet sanding out any little bit of texture and the odd spec of dust. It makes all the previous work worth it.

The first cut in this video I'm using StewMac's Red Medium Cut Compound. Just because I want to finish off the bar. But I also have the Mensema P204 that I'll switch to when the SM one is done.

On the other wheel I have the #16 Beige and then the P175 Yellow Super Finish for the final gloss.

It's a 3M random orbit sander that is designed for just what I'm using it for. I have P3000 Trizac paper of it for the final cut before going to the buffer.

Top Bottom