TAS Got me again

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
Just arrived a couple of hours ago ..Took 10 min's to unpack and set up, and i've been playing around with it ever since :) it's certainly a big difference to the standard type small bench drills..No belts to change, no chuck key needed, built in illumination, and laser cross hairs, and variable speeds at the turn of a dial, and digital read outs for speed and depth...My first job with it will be for cutting rosette channels on my next batch of sopranos, and i'll do a video of that after i've modified my jigs.
IMG_2249 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

The nice thing about TAS is getting nice tools and not having to pay a professional to do the work. Since I was a teenager, I would buy tools, rather than bring my car to a mechanic to be repaired. I spend a lot on tools, but I saved even more by not paying mechanics.

Unfortunately, when it comes to electronic problems on cars, I have to "trust" the dealer. My son spent $650 trying to get his Honda Fit to shut off the Check Engine light. It stayed off long enough to get the annual state inspection, but it's back on now. Spending all that money didn't solve the problem.

Next time he needs the light off, have himm take off the ground wire on his battery a couple of minutes and then put it back on. Or a little black electrical tape over the light.

The nice thing about TAS is getting nice tools and not having to pay a professional to do the work. Since I was a teenager, I would buy tools, rather than bring my car to a mechanic to be repaired. I spend a lot on tools, but I saved even more by not paying mechanics.

Unfortunately, when it comes to electronic problems on cars, I have to "trust" the dealer. My son spent $650 trying to get his Honda Fit to shut off the Check Engine light. It stayed off long enough to get the annual state inspection, but it's back on now. Spending all that money didn't solve the problem.

My last car Hyundia Coupe had that problem..I borrowed one of those vehicle computer thingies, plugged it into the dashboard socket and turned that engine light off.

That is a nice bench top drill press!! Not available in the States. Bosch makes and sells a lot of nice tools that are not available here.

Ken, do you think the drill press would be strong enough for a safe-t-planer? I’ve been lusting for one for a couple of years but managed so far to not buy it. The consensu on Swedish woodworking fora is it’s a shame it’s not in Bosch’s blue series.

I agree Sven if it was a blue one it would be better..I think the bearings would get hammered with a Safe-T-planer with the side pressure..I noticed a bit of side wobble when cutting too hard with the fly cutter ..you have to go steadily a bit at a time...There is also about .7mm side play in the spindle when not running but this reduces to zero when it starts revolving... have heard stories of some owners taking it to bits and replacing the bearings with more sturdy ones...But its a nice tool to have once you get used to it...A handy feature is the laser cross hairs you have to adjust these when you set up the drill co's they are usually a fraction off center https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP400iBPCos Cos I intend to use this for drilling marker dots and headstock tuner holes...My Son uses his all the time for accurate light metalwork drilling mostly in aluminium for this he uses the laser cross hairs quite a lot and he loves it.:)

Last edited:
Fanx Ken. I think I’ll fight the urge, even if I have just the spot for one in my shop. Hm. We’ll see how it goes. The spirit is strong but the wallet is weak, as the bible saysn’t.

Ken
Could you pls give us an update on your experience with this tool?
Miguel
I used it to cut 24 rosette channels and havn't used it since..but I will be using it again in a couple of weeks when I start on the next batch of sopranos when I cut out the sound holes.....My son Mike uses one all the time mainly drilling and tapping aluminium stock for his electronic drum pickups ...and the work he produces is very accurate ... See here

trigger.jpg

I tried out the new Bosch drill press again this morning I set it up to cut the sound holes, and took a few snaps of it...the first one came out fine :)
IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2848.jpgIMG_2850.jpg

Top Bottom