Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner's mishap

Default Beginner's mishap

I was sanding the waist of this tenor and couldn't seem to get rid of a rough spot when I discovered that I had sanded through the side!

Hoping that someone else has experienced something like in their distant past that they recall a fix for. I have a couple of ideas but nothing seems to make me feel very good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures what is going on. Did you go all the way through? I don't see a hole. Are these laminated sides and just sanded through the laminate layer? Hard to tell from the pictures. Anyway, it is time to start hiding things with ingenuity. It is called recovery. Somethings are easier to recover than others. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    It is a little hard to tell from the pictures what is going on. Did you go all the way through? I don't see a hole. Are these laminated sides and just sanded through the laminate layer? Hard to tell from the pictures. Anyway, it is time to start hiding things with ingenuity. It is called recovery. Somethings are easier to recover than others. Good luck.
    Thanks! The sides are solid quilted maple. They were thinned when I worked at taking out bumps and lumps from the bending process. Apparently figured grain doesn't take bending graciously. I knew they had gotten thin but didn't realize how much so. at this point the kerfing is showing through and at the inner edge of the kerfing I can push from inside to expose a break. I'm fairly certain I'll never make this mistake again and I'd be happy with any old fix even if it will be evident to some extent.
    "Why is it that you never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it right the second time??"

It seems to me that the weakened area will have to be patched, on the outside. I don't see how this can be done unobtrusively, so I would try to find a way of making a feature of it. That way, it won't look like a botch-up and it will simply be a quirky facet of the instrument's personality.

One way would be a patch of plain, lighter coloured, wood with a suitable logo - a butterfly; a howling wolf; a skull and crossbones; your name and "Hand Made in the USA" - could be almost anything.

John Colter

Thank you, John. There's a comical twist to all of that. :-) I had actually thought of something along those lines.

Go for it, Chuck! I wouldn't taper, or sand down, the edges of the patch. For me, it should look as though it was intended to be there - stuck on the surface in order to display the logo, or whatever you choose.

Your secret is safe with us. You can rely on our discretion!

John C.

Hide it with one of these mouse.jpg
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I once made a wooden patch that was stained to look like a band aid. Made it appropriate and entertaining.

😁😁😁

Actually I have an idea. Given that this is my first foray into the world of instrument building, and given that I am here because of a seed planted by a son, I think a dedication would work. (Pic)
    I have questions about the material and etc. But I feel good about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I LIKE It!! :-)

Thread Information