Beginner's mishap

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
I was sanding the waist of this tenor and couldn't seem to get rid of a rough spot when I discovered that I had sanded through the side!

Hoping that someone else has experienced something like in their distant past that they recall a fix for. I have a couple of ideas but nothing seems to make me feel very good.

Attachments

• 20181105_062642.jpg
    20181105_062642.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20181105_062537.jpg
    20181105_062537.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 137
  • 20181105_062503.jpg
    20181105_062503.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 120
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures what is going on. Did you go all the way through? I don't see a hole. Are these laminated sides and just sanded through the laminate layer? Hard to tell from the pictures. Anyway, it is time to start hiding things with ingenuity. It is called recovery. Somethings are easier to recover than others. Good luck.

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures what is going on. Did you go all the way through? I don't see a hole. Are these laminated sides and just sanded through the laminate layer? Hard to tell from the pictures. Anyway, it is time to start hiding things with ingenuity. It is called recovery. Somethings are easier to recover than others. Good luck.

Thanks! The sides are solid quilted maple. They were thinned when I worked at taking out bumps and lumps from the bending process. Apparently figured grain doesn't take bending graciously. I knew they had gotten thin but didn't realize how much so. at this point the kerfing is showing through and at the inner edge of the kerfing I can push from inside to expose a break. I'm fairly certain I'll never make this mistake again and I'd be happy with any old fix even if it will be evident to some extent.

It seems to me that the weakened area will have to be patched, on the outside. I don't see how this can be done unobtrusively, so I would try to find a way of making a feature of it. That way, it won't look like a botch-up and it will simply be a quirky facet of the instrument's personality.

One way would be a patch of plain, lighter coloured, wood with a suitable logo - a butterfly; a howling wolf; a skull and crossbones; your name and "Hand Made in the USA" - could be almost anything.

John Colter

Go for it, Chuck! I wouldn't taper, or sand down, the edges of the patch. For me, it should look as though it was intended to be there - stuck on the surface in order to display the logo, or whatever you choose.

Your secret is safe with us. You can rely on our discretion! :)

John C.

I once made a wooden patch that was stained to look like a band aid. Made it appropriate and entertaining.

😁😁😁

Actually I have an idea. Given that this is my first foray into the world of instrument building, and given that I am here because of a seed planted by a son, I think a dedication would work. (Pic)
I have questions about the material and etc. But I feel good about it.

Attachments

• ukulele patch.jpg
    ukulele patch.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 65
I'm wrestling with what material for this. I thought to use koa with the lettering cut through and either the existing maple as an under layer or a light veneer behind that. Or light wood on koa or ebony. I wonder if a metal with engraving is a good option as well.

I'm wrestling with what material for this. I thought to use koa with the lettering cut through and either the existing maple as an under layer or a light veneer behind that. Or light wood on koa or ebony. I wonder if a metal with engraving is a good option as well.

A nice brass plaque.

You could do something with a wood burner on a light colored piece of wood patch to your son and then give it to him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom