Song Help Request Kids and ukulele

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am running a class for kids (3,4, & 5) graders.
I am looking for songs they may enjoy besides “Twinkle” and similar songs. Obviously easy songs to play and sing.
Suggestions?

What were called 'rounds' in my day come to mind, things like London's Burning, where the first person sings the first line, & then is joined by the second person singing the first line as the first person sings the second line, etc.

C/G7 songs: Wheels on the Bus, Down by the Bay, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Ain't no Bugs on Me (Good one), and Guitar Cadillacs. That last one is my sanity song. Sometimes we grownups sing that one at the end just to get ourselves back. I'll bet three quarters of kids songs you can play with C and G7. I've not taught kids how to play songs, but I am part of our Raising Readers program and I accompany them every week. Sometimes they scream for a song that I've never heard, and I go to this site if I can't figure it out on the fly. They have tons of songs for that age group. Also, you will see a lot of those songs have an extra chord in them as a transition chord. You can eliminate those transitional chords and still play them. It turns a lot of the three chord songs into two chord songs if you do that.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/

Maybe there is something more modern? I recently decided to teach my students ukulele lessons. Ukulele attracts with its ease of learning. The point is the number of strings - there are only four of them, not six, as on a classical guitar. And these strings are very soft; they lend themselves easily to children's fingers. This difference turned out to be very significant. Some of my students advise their teachers from Kid City USA to start ukulele lessons too. And the range of two octaves (in some cases, if you put a low fourth string on the ukulele, then practically three) allows you to play any melody!

Last edited:
Sponge Bob - Campfire Song

Pretty basic, and you can play it without the capo. (of course, I don't sing, so I guess you'd have to sing lower, too)

I'm a blues guy, you could teach them a simple 12-bar blues progression and let them make up their own blues song!
A - A - A - A
D7 - D7
A - A
E7
A
E7

I guess maybe D, G7 and A7 would be easier beginner chords for a 1-5-7 progression. Might be an interesting way to ease them into the notion of music theory and common chord progressions. They'll surely be able to pick up common blues and jazz progressions in the music they hear every day if you tune them into it.

I teach 9 and 10 year olds in primary school, I've taught them Stand by Me in the key of C, Let it Be and 3 Little Birds, all without too much trouble. I taught our school waiata (Maori song) this year. As well as Cmaj, G#, A minor, and Fmaj it has a Bb and an E minor which a few struggled with but got there eventually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom