Thread: Is there a name or technical description for this disparity in volume?

Default Is there a name or technical description for this disparity in volume?

So, I definitely need to change the strings on my new KLOS. Or do I?

I don't what this situation is called but, my E and A strings require more pressure to get the same volume as my G and C strings. Something is amiss here. The stock strings are D'Addario Fluorocarbon.

I had Jason Arimoto change the strings on my Tiny Tenor and the volume is consistent on all the strings. So, I know it is possible.

Is there a name or technical description for this disparity in volume?
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    I don't what this situation is called but, my E and A strings require more pressure to get the same volume as my G and C strings. Something is amiss here. The stock strings are D'Addario Fluorocarbon.

Is there a name or technical description for this disparity in volume?
    When you say "more pressure" can we assume you mean pluck harder?

Is this "disparity" purely apparent to your ears when you are holding and playing the instrument or have you made recordings or other electronic tests to demonstrate the effect?
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    When you say "more pressure" can we assume you mean pluck harder?

Is this "disparity" purely apparent to your ears when you are holding and playing the instrument or have you made recordings or other electronic tests to demonstrate the effect?
    Interesting points. And "yes" I mean plucking harder. The sound is purely by ear. Not instruments. By louder I could say boomier. Putting a capo on the 6th fret and plucking the open strings it becomes obvious that the C string does not belong.

Now, I know that trying different string brands can solve the issue. I did this with my Kala with great success. There must be a name for this.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    The string set is not balanced.
    OMG. That's the phrase! String set is unbalanced. Thanks Bill1.

Now to get it balanced!

Thread Information