Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best ukulele absolute beginners book assuming no music knowledge and is for morons?

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Ukulele for Dummies

Looking for one book for someone who has no prior musical knowledge, I'd suggest this is the one to get.
    i totally second this. i had taught myself a little bit of guitar - some chords and some picking patterns - from a book, about a million years ago when i was a kid. but "ukulele for dummies" is the book i got myself when i started on uke. the beginning of the book gently gets you going with some basic chords, the approach and tone is fun and quite humourous, but very very informative - once i had a few uke chords under my belt i closed the book and started plinking, but i went back to it often for reference if i had any questions. i know you can find pretty much every uke-related thing online somewhere, but it's nice to have a book, i think, everything is in one place, and you don't need to switch your computer on!
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    i totally second this. i had taught myself a little bit of guitar - some chords and some picking patterns - from a book, about a million years ago when i was a kid. but "ukulele for dummies" is the book i got myself when i started on uke. the beginning of the book gently gets you going with some basic chords, the approach and tone is fun and quite humourous, but very very informative - once i had a few uke chords under my belt i closed the book and started plinking, but i went back to it often for reference if i had any questions. i know you can find pretty much every uke-related thing online somewhere, but it's nice to have a book, i think, everything is in one place, and you don't need to switch your computer on!
    Seeing that post reminds me that I have a part worked through copy of Uke for Dummies - set aside a few years back. It is a great reference source and could well get you started too. Thinking about it now my use of that book didn’t work that well for me but the fault for that lies not with the book but with me. Use the book to get yourself started and then put it down rather than attempting to work from cover to cover. My recollection is of the pace of learning being too fast for me, but it might be just right for others. I think that that extensive book is a wide course of study (Beginner to Master) so suggest that, once you have learnt enough from it to play some chords, you treat it as a comprehensive guide instead and tailor your use of it (dip in and out) accordingly. There is now a Dummies book of Uke exercises too, I haven’t checked it out recently but believe that the two have some overlap.

Edit. Similar to Arcy below I find that my best progress is made when I play with a group of others. A good book gets you started and provides reference but it’s by repeatedly ‘doing’, and using the interaction with other players, that progress is made.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 11-08-2018 at 11:02 PM.

I have a very good library system locally (they even have Ukulele workshops!) and checked out a couple dozen beginning Ukulele books and e-books. As much as I hate the title, I also really liked the Ukulele for Dummies and Ukulele Exercises for Dummies books -- the Dummies series are in general pretty well written.

I didn't go straight through it, but it got me started and the topics it covered gave me pointers for other things to look for. Some of the topics (e.g. chord shapes) were straightforward from the text. Others (e.g. strumming) were too kinetic for me to understand in words so I went to video (YouTube, Lynda/LinkedIn Learning, etc.) for those.

I've also been liking the Complete Ukulele Method (three books: Beginning, Intermediate, and Mastering) by Greg Horne.

Once I had a very few basics I made very rapid improvements by playing with others.

I'll step out here. The Dummies series stuff is pretty tepid.

I think you really should check out the book by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's bass player, Will Grove-White, "Get Plucky with the Ukulele."

I've seen a few dozen uke books and this really is vastly superior to these.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

There are strong recommendations for "Ukulele For Dummies" and also Will Grove-White's web site gives an introduction to playing. I am a keen fan of the UOGB so
    may get both "Get Plucky with the Ukulele" and "Ukulele For Dummies". Ah, "Get Plucky with the Ukulele" is now called "Ukulele for Beginners: How To Play Ukulele in Easy-to-Follow Steps". It is the same book.

Will Grove-White plays soprano, sopranissimo and occasionally a uke the size of the average human hand.

Jonty Bankes is the player of the electric bass on our far right of the picture. He joined the band as bass player in 1992.
    Will Grove-White is next to him. He joined the band in 1991.

Unfortunately Kitty, next to Will Grove-White in the picture, died last year.
    Last edited by _Ukeless_; 11-10-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United Fan

Countdown Of United Kingdom Time Remaining In The European Union

Gear4Music Deluxe Tenor
    Mahilele Soprano

Thread Information