Thread: Someone please explain gCcEAa to me

Default Someone please explain gCcEAa to me

I need to buy strings for an on-the-way new 6 string tenor that is doubled on #1 & #3, which are set to octaves.

So ... if I want a low G on that 6 string tenor, should I shop for gCcEAa or should I shop for GCcEAa?

Also please remind me -- which of the Aquilas are prone to early breaks -- Aquila Red Series, or Aquila Lava?

OR -- should I just buy the Aquila Nylguts for 8 string tenor -- that set will have all I need for a 6 string tenor with low G, plus a couple of left overs, right?

I will muchly appreciate any & all comments.

Basically, you are looking for a 6 string set that doubles the C & A strings - the capital letters usually denote a lower octave string.

So, gCcEAa would be - G5 - C4/C5 - E4 - A4/A5

Whereas, GCcEAa would be - G4 - C4/C5 - E4 - A4/A5
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    ... the capital letters usually denote a lower octave string ...
    So, to have low G, I want GCcEAa, right?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still seeking an answer to the following question:

Which of the Aquilas are prone to early breaks -- Aquila Red Series, or Aquila Lava?

Reds are more likely to break than Lavas. Low G and C Lavas may be wound, to keep the gauges from being too large, but I've not heard of unusual breakage problems with them.
    Martin C1K Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Also, the 8-string set would have two identical E and two identical A strings, so you wouldn't get the effect of an extra octave on your A string. That's just the way those sets are put together: gG cC ee aa.
    Martin C1K Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Also, the 8-string set would have two identical E and two identical A strings, so you wouldn't get the effect of an extra octave on your A string. That's just the way those sets are put together: gG cC ee aa.
    Hoo-boy! You saved me from wasting $$ on an 8-string set. Ergo, I shall go to Living Water & ask them to put together a GCcEAa set for me.

Thread Information