Someone please explain gCcEAa to me

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I need to buy strings for an on-the-way new 6 string tenor that is doubled on #1 & #3, which are set to octaves.

So ... if I want a low G on that 6 string tenor, should I shop for gCcEAa or should I shop for GCcEAa?

Also please remind me -- which of the Aquilas are prone to early breaks -- Aquila Red Series, or Aquila Lava?

OR -- should I just buy the Aquila Nylguts for 8 string tenor -- that set will have all I need for a 6 string tenor with low G, plus a couple of left overs, right?

I will muchly appreciate any & all comments.

Basically, you are looking for a 6 string set that doubles the C & A strings - the capital letters usually denote a lower octave string.

So, gCcEAa would be - G5 - C4/C5 - E4 - A4/A5

Whereas, GCcEAa would be - G4 - C4/C5 - E4 - A4/A5

... the capital letters usually denote a lower octave string ...
So, to have low G, I want GCcEAa, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still seeking an answer to the following question:

Which of the Aquilas are prone to early breaks -- Aquila Red Series, or Aquila Lava?

Reds are more likely to break than Lavas. Low G and C Lavas may be wound, to keep the gauges from being too large, but I've not heard of unusual breakage problems with them.

Also, the 8-string set would have two identical E and two identical A strings, so you wouldn't get the effect of an extra octave on your A string. That's just the way those sets are put together: gG cC ee aa.

Also, the 8-string set would have two identical E and two identical A strings, so you wouldn't get the effect of an extra octave on your A string. That's just the way those sets are put together: gG cC ee aa.
Hoo-boy! You saved me from wasting $$ on an 8-string set. Ergo, I shall go to Living Water & ask them to put together a GCcEAa set for me.

Top Bottom