Misunderstood or Misused Guitar Definition

If someone asked me what ukulele is, I would without a hesitation say that it is a small 4 string guitar.
Just lacks the base strings, but the tuning is same relatively and the re-entrant nature does not change that when accompanying.

Mandolin or that tenor "guitar", they are different and not guitars because of the tuning difference in my opinion. With mandolin other things too or bouzouki etc. more exotic.
Well, anyone can tune their guitar in whatever tuning they please and it still is a guitar. Just not so many others can play with it and the playing style also might be less orthodox.
So to me the tuning is the key point.

It is the ability to play chords in any key. Six string guitar can do that too, but not as easy.

Btw, this thread is maybe in the wrong subforum?
Nevermind.

Things like bass guitar, it matches the lowest 4 strings, relatively, of the 6 string in question.
So in that sense it is yes too a guitar, to me. In more general it is a 4 frets 4 fingers thing. Or something like that. Chords don't work though or sound good.

---------------------------------

Is this site hacked or hacker controlled?

I got this message when trying to post mine above:

The following errors occurred with your submission
*** Forbidden. Sender blacklisted. ***

-------

I myself did not do any, so I wonder?

To continue, a guitar has always been something with chords, not solo stuff, to me.

I mean I grew up with listening to some guitar heros. I imitated their playing style and learned this and that. But never I thought that they are what it is, nor the classical guitar stuff.

To me it always was some kind of a folk song instrument. Which uke is too ;)

To continue, a guitar has always been something with chords, not solo stuff, to me.

I mean I grew up with listening to some guitar heros. I imitated their playing style and learned this and that. But never I thought that they are what it is, nor the classical guitar stuff.

A guitar and a ukulele can certainly be used for playing chords, and if that's what you want, then have fun. The same could be said for an Autoharp or a piano or any instrument that can play more than one note at a time. But why limit yourself, since guitar, ukulele, Autoharp, piano and most instruments also make fine melody instruments.

A guitar and a ukulele can certainly be used for playing chords, and if that's what you want, then have fun. The same could be said for an Autoharp or a piano or any instrument that can play more than one note at a time. But why limit yourself, since guitar, ukulele, Autoharp, piano and most instruments also make fine melody instruments. Definitely use it for back-up, but try a little lead too.

A guitar and a ukulele can certainly be used for playing chords, and if that's what you want, then have fun. The same could be said for an Autoharp or a piano or any instrument that can play more than one note at a time. But why limit yourself, since guitar, ukulele, Autoharp, piano and most instruments also make fine melody instruments. Definitely use it for back-up, but try a little lead too.

Actually Jim, I am quite good at playing melodies etc. single string stuff by ear. It is just that compared to a violin, human voice and many other instruments, one can't vary the pitch (not at least with precise control) with fretted instruments or piano. The results are less than satisfactory to my ears. This talk is also off topic to the question if ukulele is a guitar ;)

Top Bottom