Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Solid Body Uke

Default Electric Solid Body Uke

I am building a Les Paul style solid body uke. I am using the Grizzly kit (neck, fingerboard, and bridge), humbucker pickups with 2 knob electronics, I will have to use light steel strings and enclosed mini gear tuners. I have not figured out the bridge, I plan to use the original and run the strings over them into thru-body holes (like Dean guitars sometimes have).

Any suggestions or ideas? What type of wood is best for a solid body? Anyone tried this and have problems? Any tips before I begin would be appreciated.

Default What kind of strings do I use.

I am planning to build a solid body electric ukulele out of a a nice chunk of Australian lacewood and perhaps another one out of piece of red mahogany. I have only built open body acoustic cigar box instruments and have no idea what what type of pickup or strings to use. Any advice?

I have actually been playing a little around with this idea too. But I'm kinda stuck at choosing pickups, can you please link those you've found Meyer?
    Take a look at the ukulele this fine lady got http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGG_ZSH-1TU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKF3bKadv_M
    I also found that RISA makes steelstrings for ukuleles. You can get them from www.ukulele.de
    I have been thinking about just using a Piezo under saddle pickup and then just make some fake lookalike pickups for the looks.. What do you think??

Faking a full size electric guitar as an ukulele is a noble 'joke'. Today you can make any sound with an effects module and a standard uke with a piezo.

No different than an electric mandolin. I have used alder, mahogany and walnut then used a 1/4" drop top. If using hardwood I have milled out most of the inside to make it "semi-hollow" but not enough to have any acoustic properties. GFS makes some small, Tele neck pickups, that are also humbuckers so they look good on smaller scale instruments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    No different than an electric mandolin. I have used alder, mahogany and walnut then used a 1/4" drop top. If using hardwood I have milled out most of the inside to make it "semi-hollow" but not enough to have any acoustic properties. GFS makes some small, Tele neck pickups, that are also humbuckers so they look good on smaller scale instruments.
    Do they make them with only 4 magnets, or do they still have 6? Because I can only seem to find ones with 6 magnets..

The are dual blade humbuckers called Lil Punchers. They are at http://store.guitarfetish.com/singlecoil.html You can also get four pole pickups through Seymour Duncan in their vintage line.

My Uklectics are similarly hollowed out but they do have an 'acoustic' sound to them...

What a beautiful burl uke.
    Live Aloha
    ------------------------

------------------------

I have a pile to do in July... strange because last year was the year of the soprano for me

Thread Information