Beatles Video Thread......Christmas fun!

My favourite Beatles story cropped up relatively recently. When the 'Anthology 1' album was released in 1995 Pete Best (the original drummer) thought that it may contain perhaps one or two tracks that he played on. He took no notice of it. Well, it contained several more than that. His share of the eventual royalties amounted to 4 million pounds.

I follow all things Beatles pretty close but hadn't heard that. Glad Pete had some good fortune come his way.. his is an interesting story.

Great idea Mike. I'll post something, maybe a white album tune with the 50th anniversary set dropping today!

Beatles... yepp, count me in as well. Just by chance, I did something recently, but I'll be patient until December 1st to post it... But I'll love to do something new, too.

I think this is a great idea - especially as I've been learning and posting a few Beatles tunes in the guitar section here of late; it's really come at the right time for my interest Mike.

As you know, I don't play the uke well at all, but I love the idea of doing something for this which will be (I think) only my 4th uke song ever learned. Well...I can only have a try, can't I, and it'll be good to join you all in this.

I was thinking about giving it a try, but have no idea how to record anything. I got as far as downloading Audacity, which sounded like it should be fairly easy to use, but have already realized I was in over my head. It seems to record, (I see the sound waves), but doesn't play back or save.

So, for any of us who have no idea how to record something, (am I the only one?), any other threads to point us to or other advice on what to do?

I was thinking about giving it a try, but have no idea how to record anything. I got as far as downloading Audacity, which sounded like it should be fairly easy to use, but have already realized I was in over my head. It seems to record, (I see the sound waves), but doesn't play back or save.

So, for any of us who have no idea how to record something, (am I the only one?), any other threads to point us to or other advice on what to do?

I wouldn't worry too much about the technical side for this Joyful. I've posted a few videos now which were recorded just by pointing my iPad or phone at myself and taking a video 'selfie' whilst I played and sang. Then I just sent the resulting video to YouTube and placed the link on here.
Most people who've watched them have said that the resulting sound is good considering only the built in microphone of the iPad or phone was used to record; theyre surprisingly good nowadays!
Of course, a good recording set up will always produce better results, but this is just about us all having FUN, so have a go.
I look forward to enjoying what you come up with my friend.

This is not a contest, no prize tickets to a Mike Holland concert. Just having fun playing Beatles music. All you need is a phone , a mic ( optional) and a selfie stick. You don’t even need to show the face ! Let’s me welcome you to the headless club if that would encourage you to participate!

This is not a contest, no prize tickets to a Mike Holland concert. Just having fun playing Beatles music. All you need is a phone , a mic ( optional) and a selfie stick. You don’t even need to show the face ! Let’s me welcome you to the headless club if that would encourage you to participate!

I may at times appear to be headless, or at least brainless, but I don't have a smart phone or a selfie stick, so I guess I'll just enjoy everyone else's work.

I thought maybe I'd be able to make use of my new computer, (my 10 year old one just died), but it sounds like smart phones are the option.
But, my new computer will let me watch all the videos that everyone posts, and that will be even more fun that trying to post one myself.

I look forward to watching the videos.

Hi again Joyful!
Most new computers come with a built in webcam you can use to film yourself if you just sit in front of the PC and play. Depending on your operating system, you should already have basic software on there which will enable you to do so.
You have until the first of December to investigate what you have, so why not look into it? It'll be great to hear whatever Beatles song you do.
I'm no computer expert, but if you feel I can advise at any time, feel free to ask on here or personal message me

Just going to keep bumping this thread until December just in case any body who may be interested has missed it!
Mike

What uke club doesn't have a Beatles Night or at least 5 Beatle songs in their repertoire? This thread will be inundated on Dec. 1!

Our club makes a pretty good Beatle Song Book available to all. Click on the link on our Song Book Page.

Trying to get my courage up to post something when it's time. Anything Beatles related gets my attention. :)

Any advice for someone who has never created & posted a video? Is there a thread that tells us how to do that?

Does Amazon sell courage? LOL.
you can set your video to unlisted, rather than public, over on youtube, which means only people who read the thread you post it on, over here on UU, will see it

when i first started making uke vids, i filmed on a little digital camera - 3 whole megapixels! it was quite a long time ago! i transferred the vids to my old desktop computer, in the same way i'd transfer photos, and then i was good to go to upload to youtube. when i got a laptop, i started recording vids straight onto that, which made things even easier.

i made my videos public from the get go, but on my first few, until i got a litte confidence up, i disabled comments, because i was afraid of what people might say!!!!!

here is an old thread about making videos

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?11324-How-do-you-make-uke-videos

you could also start a new thread, on the seasons sub-forum, asking for video-making advice, i'm sure you'd get loads of super-up-to-date help and advice

Thanks, Gillian, for posting the link to the songbook. Lots of great Beatles and post-Beatles songs there.

Just keeping the thread bumped......from the year 1965!
You just have to listen!!!!
Mike

Thanks, Gillian, for posting the link to the songbook. Lots of great Beatles and post-Beatles songs there.

Thanks. Day Tripper was the most problematic...deciding which key was easiest and how to tab the mandatory riffs. It isn't Day Tripper without them. I decided to keep the fingering pattern the same for both riffs. I try to keep the original key but some keys are a bit too hard for most folks in our uke club so I'll drop the key a 1/2 or whole step. If folks want to play in the original key, they can capo up.

As for post-Beatle songs, I wonder how many folks know McCartney's "Waterfalls?" Beautiful melody but his lyrics are strange.

I hope you like our unique song sheet formatting. We try to be as accurate with the timing dots, measure bars, chord placement, etc. as possible.

Last edited:
Thanks. Day Tripper was the most problematic...deciding which key was easiest and how to tab the mandatory riffs. It isn't Day Tripper without them. I decided to keep the fingering pattern the same for both riffs. I try to keep the original key but some keys are a bit too hard for most folks in our uke club so I'll drop the key a 1/2 or whole step. If folks want to play in the original key, they can capo up.

As for post-Beatle songs, I wonder how many folks know McCartney's "Waterfalls?" Beautiful melody but his lyrics are strange.

I hope you like our unique song sheet formatting. We try to be as accurate with the timing dots, measure bars, chord placement, etc. as possible.

+1 on the songbook Gillian, I am sure a lot of people will find that very useful!
Personally, I am not a stickler for original keys. They usually arise out of the original singer's preference, but we're in ukulele world now!

I was happy to see that one there. Not a common one to include, but one that I really like.

Top Bottom