Need a chord to replace Eb chord in Unchained Melody

johnnysmash

Reaction score
Hello. I am playing single note backup to Unchained Melody in key of C. Base note followed by strings 3 2 1 2 3. The Bridge of the song has two lines that are F G F Eb. What can I substitute for this Eb. Something that sounds good and is finger friendly? Thank you.

A little more context might help. Can you post more of the tab or chord chart?

My problem is that I cannot play an Eb chord on guitar or baritone ukulele. I can only play it on my tenor ukulele due to stiffness of my wrist/fingers. That is why I want to play another chord or alter the Eb some way.

Unchained Melody is the number I am trying to learn. I got it from Mike Lynch's book, chord melodies. Not sure if book 1, 2, or 3.

At present time I do not know how to upload a score to this forum or to record something and post it. I am not too computer lit. I need layman (dummie) explanations in order to perform the desired functions. My computer crashed while watching the election results the other night. I just got it back from the shop today. l lost all I had on the computer.

Have you tried muting some of the strings and playing the strings you can manage? X X X 3 4 3.

Also consider looking at variations of the D# chord.

Last edited:
I always thought the first of these is the easy standard way for a tenor, but with a baritone easiest would be barring at the 3rd fret for 5343 if my math is correct.
No, that's Ab. Eb with that shape would be way higher up. 3336 is also an option if a full barre is doable.

I always thought the first of these is the easy standard way for a tenor, but with a baritone easiest would be barring at the 3rd fret for 5343 if my math is correct.

On my tenor I can play 5343. Not a barre on 3. But playing the D chord shape with fingers 2,3,4, and reaching over with index finger to play the note on the 5th fret of the G string.

I cannot do barre's because when I play a barre with my index finger I cannot bend my wrist enough to arch my fingers so they clear the other strings. I can play a barre for 2222 or 5555. Also 2223 or 2224 and on tenor, somedays 2225. I try to bend the wrist every day, PT's suggestion. Between treatment and trying, maybe my wrist will bend enough to use some barre chords. Would be nice but takes a very long time. At present time, on ukulele I use index and middle fingers to play strings 2 and 3 and my ring finger and pinky to play on the 1st string instead of a barre. This causes string 4 to be left out a lot.

going back to the start and the progression Eb F G F using a DGBE tuned instrument.
Look where the Eb, F and G notes are on the B string.
Make a D chord shape (for DGBE) with the Eb note on the B string (fret 4?). Just hold the shape and slide it up to where the F note (fret 5?) and G (fret 7?) note is on the B string. If you can't reach the D string, just play the GBE strings. The progression is a bridge according to the first post so the ascending chords may fit in nicely and you can make the last F 3211 to get back to the first five frets in the verse.

Or drop an Em chord down a fret and only play strings 345

going back to the start and the progression Eb F G F using a DGBE tuned instrument.
Look where the Eb, F and G notes are on the B string.
Make a D chord shape (for DGBE) with the Eb note on the B string (fret 4?). Just hold the shape and slide it up to where the F note (fret 5?) and G (fret 7?) note is on the B string. If you can't reach the D string, just play the GBE strings. The progression is a bridge according to the first post so the ascending chords may fit in nicely and you can make the last F 3211 to get back to the first five frets in the verse.

The progression is not Eb F G F. It is F G F Eb.

Hello. I am playing single note backup to Unchained Melody in key of C. Base note followed by strings 3 2 1 2 3. The Bridge of the song has two lines that are F G F Eb. What can I substitute for this Eb. Something that sounds good and is finger friendly? Thank you.

Since the Melody is Unchained, you can substitute whatever melody note your ear feels satisfied with.
Sorry I couldn't resist the Unchained comment.
But seriously you can always substitute. A lot of my so-called fluency on the ukulele has to do with smoke and mirrors. I almost always opt for what's easy, even when I like those complex swing arrangements with half diminished chords and occasional sharp fives Etc. I go for the easy. And only you can figure out what's easy for you. Sometimes transposing to another key makes a world of ease. Guitar and ukulele keys are not equally easy.

Or drop an Em chord down a fret and only play strings 345

There's yer answer. Thank you, Swamp Yankee, as I too have often wished for a pleasant "1st-position-ish" version of the Eb chord (on the guitar), and your suggestion is a nice one. As with many variations on chords, it might not work well in every situation, but it'll work in a lot of them, and it certainly works great in the context of "Unchained Melody".

I’d just barre the 8th fret and play strings 2, 3. & 4. Sounds too easy so maybe I’m missing what you’re asking. I do play lots of “cheater”type chords on guitar and baritone ukes.

As rubykey said: “transpose it to another key, or if you prefer it in the original key, use a capo and play it with a chord progression that you are more comfortable with…

Use a 3336. To me it's in some ways an easier move than going from F to 0331

Top Bottom