Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a chord to replace Eb chord in Unchained Melody

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    going back to the start and the progression Eb F G F using a DGBE tuned instrument.
    Look where the Eb, F and G notes are on the B string.
    Make a D chord shape (for DGBE) with the Eb note on the B string (fret 4?). Just hold the shape and slide it up to where the F note (fret 5?) and G (fret 7?) note is on the B string. If you can't reach the D string, just play the GBE strings. The progression is a bridge according to the first post so the ascending chords may fit in nicely and you can make the last F 3211 to get back to the first five frets in the verse.
    Or drop an Em chord down a fret and only play strings 345
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K, Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's brand "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Kiwaya KTT-2K; Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    going back to the start and the progression Eb F G F using a DGBE tuned instrument.
    Look where the Eb, F and G notes are on the B string.
    Make a D chord shape (for DGBE) with the Eb note on the B string (fret 4?). Just hold the shape and slide it up to where the F note (fret 5?) and G (fret 7?) note is on the B string. If you can't reach the D string, just play the GBE strings. The progression is a bridge according to the first post so the ascending chords may fit in nicely and you can make the last F 3211 to get back to the first five frets in the verse.

The progression is not Eb F G F. It is F G F Eb.

jim can i get chord chat please if you have please share with me i also need this

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    Hello. I am playing single note backup to Unchained Melody in key of C. Base note followed by strings 3 2 1 2 3. The Bridge of the song has two lines that are F G F Eb. What can I substitute for this Eb. Something that sounds good and is finger friendly? Thank you.
    Since the Melody is Unchained, you can substitute whatever melody note your ear feels satisfied with.
    Sorry I couldn't resist the Unchained comment.
    But seriously you can always substitute. A lot of my so-called fluency on the ukulele has to do with smoke and mirrors. I almost always opt for what's easy, even when I like those complex swing arrangements with half diminished chords and occasional sharp fives Etc. I go for the easy. And only you can figure out what's easy for you. Sometimes transposing to another key makes a world of ease. Guitar and ukulele keys are not equally easy.
    KoAlana Sapele Concert -- now known as the KoAloha Opio
    Mainland Mahogany Concert - my knockabout jam ukulele
    Mahalo Pineapple Soprano -- the one that started it all
    Kala Travel Soprano -- tiny profile with BIG sound
    Blue Frog Maple Soprano - Beautiful sonorous sound cannon

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    Or drop an Em chord down a fret and only play strings 345
    There's yer answer. Thank you, Swamp Yankee, as I too have often wished for a pleasant "1st-position-ish" version of the Eb chord (on the guitar), and your suggestion is a nice one. As with many variations on chords, it might not work well in every situation, but it'll work in a lot of them, and it certainly works great in the context of "Unchained Melody".

We want to use Eb on the 4th string. Eb7 works for me.
    Kamaka HF-1 (2016), Höfner Violin Bass (1963), Alvarez Yairi DY 57 (1977), Martin D-28 (2017)

Thread Information