Question re fret ends.

Lacole

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but... my newest ukulele which was a delight to play when I first got it, is now developing increasingly sharp fret ends. Is there any other cure besides having the ends dressed? I have had this uke for several months, however it is becoming drier inside because the heat is on. The uke is no where near any heat source.

I'd recommend that you start humidifying regularly when the heat is on, preferably in a hard case. This doesn't need to be expensive, I just place a wet sponge in a plastic container, with holes poked in it, like a plastic soap dish, or if you need smaller, a plastic film canister. If it is already very dry, you could do an emergency humidification by sealing it up in a big plastic storage bin, with a few wet sponges, or even an open container of water for a few days or even a week, to see if the neck will soak up some moisture, possibly lessening that fret sprout. I've found that if fret sprout is evident, the uke body is also surely dry as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
We get questions like this every year as winter encroaches upon us. Think of your sharp fret ends as the canary in the coal mine. it is surely an indication that your use needs humidification. Remedy the situation before other problems, structural or playability problems, arise.

Last edited:
Thanks. I hadn’t thought of that. I might actually have guitar humidifier I can use.My other uses don’t seem to have a problem.

Thanks. I hadn’t thought of that. I might actually have guitar humidifier I can use.My other uses don’t seem to have a problem.

Also consider getting a room humidifier, aside from helping your instruments, it will keep your skin from getting dry and itchy and helps your lungs work better preventing infections.

It occurred to me that I had a terra cotta bread saver I was not using. It now has a purpose in my ukulele case. I have to admit that I was not using the case, I did not have it until recently. The case is now being used.

I’m thinking I will get more of the terra cotta pieces, wrapped so that they do not cause harm.

Just a thought: This might be due to a fretboard that was milled up when still green and full of moisture and as it dried out after the instrument was built it shrunk and the fret ends are poking out. This is something that is a simple fix by a repair person/luthier who simply files off the protruding fret ends and re-dresses them. Might not be simply a dried out instrument that needs rehydrating.

Just a thought: This might be due to a fretboard that was milled up when still green and full of moisture and as it dried out after the instrument was built it shrunk and the fret ends are poking out. This is something that is a simple fix by a repair person/luthier who simply files off the protruding fret ends and re-dresses them. Might not be simply a dried out instrument that needs rehydrating.

That is a concern for me. For now I am going with supplying more moisture. The uke is an unusual size, I had a difficult time finding a case for it, so wasn’t using the case. Now I have it in the case.

its a humidity issue

Top Bottom