Need help with stings

Redd0g

Reaction score
I have a Tenor GString Ukulele and was wonder if anyone here has a suggestion to the type of strings I need to purchase for this beast.
Not sure what the stock strings would have been back in 2009.

Thanks for any help

Redd0g, if you're a "high g" player, I've had really good luck with Martin M-620 tenor-scale strings. That set also works nicely if you decide to bump your tenor down a step from "g C E A" to "f Bb D G".

I have a G-String baritone, and have used and been fairly happy with Living Waters, Aquila Reds, and Worths, both brown and clear. All were low G. Not sure whether this helps with the tenor.

I just put some Aquila sugars on a concert G String and they sound pretty good! Much better than the Aquila new nylguts that we’re on there before. However there is a squeak when fingerpicking, which is weird. Kind of like worth clears.

On a pono tenor that I have I just put some Pepe Romero strings and they sound really awesome! Super loud. The gold wound g string has an interesting sound, a little twangy, but it really is nice. I think it sounds a little like a classical guitar. The odd thing is I had PhD strings on there before and they were a little muted, but this combination really livened up the Uke. the weird thing is either the tension is higher or the action is higher. Maybe the strings are fatter and don’t fit into the slots in the nut as well? It is definitely harder on my fingers to play the notes than the PhD strings that were on there before

On a koaloha tenor, I just put phd strings on low G and they sound great. I do think those strings are well matched to the Koaloha.

Yes, I’ve been making myself crazy with these string changes the last week. About a month ago, I tried the Frankenstein strings with oasis and wound c and G strings as referenced in another thread. They sound nice, but the wound strings squeak way more than I anticipated.

My last regular rotation ukulele, im thinking of putting stock Kamaka tenor strings back on the Kamaka Tenor.

Hope this helps.

Anyone got any handy tips putting wound strings in a tie bridge? Those buggers are a tad more difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom