So, I need to change the strings on my new KLOS. Or do I?

cyber3d

Reaction score
Is there a name or technical description for this disparity in volume?
So, I need to change the strings on my new KLOS. Or do I?

I don't know what this problem is called but, my E and A strings require more pressure to get the same volume as my G and C strings. Something is amiss here. The stock strings are D'Addario Fluorocarbons.

I had Jason Arimoto change the strings on my Tiny Tenor and the volume is consistent on all the strings. So, I know it is possible.

Is there a name or technical description for this disparity in volume?

I got nothing on a technical name. But my suspicion is that it is caused by the undersaddle pickup. Usually it is present only when amplified, but I had this occur on a very problematic Clara, that has since been gifted away, unplugged. In a nutshell the undersaddle pickup is probably not perfectly flat with the bottom of the bridge. The small gap might be causing the problem.

On my Clara the saddle had a thin strip of metallic (copper/brass) tape about 2/3 of the bottom of the saddle. To lower the action I had to remove the tape to sand it down. When I re-installed it... yikes!!! I couldn't find whatever tape had been used so I took some tennis racquet lead tape and through trial and error, got it shimmed correctly. For this particular instrument the issue was from the soundboard so it had to be shimmed after the pickup was removed.

John

Last edited:
I got nothing on a technical name. But my suspicion is that it is caused by the undersaddle pickup. Usually it is present only when amplified, but I had this occur on a very problematic Clara, that has since been gifted away, unplugged. In a nutshell the undersaddle pickup is probably not perfectly flat with the bottom of the bridge. The small gap might be causing the problem.

IF we're talking the amplified volume, another thing to check is the bottom of the saddle itself. You can just loosen the strings, pull the saddle out, and check the bottom with a straight edge.

This is without the uke plugged in. I've mixed brands of strings to solve this issue before. With the Kala that I have. And it worked beautifully. There must be a name for it.

Humans love to put names on things! LOL And forgetful I am. I wanted to be sure I could convey my delima accurately over the phone or email when I talk to a technician. Sooooo "Balanced" it is! Yipee.

Top Bottom