Ohana CK-150SMP

Rllink

Reaction score
After an exhaustive search of the UU site, and you know what I'm talking about if you have every tried to search something on uu, I can not find even a reference to the Ohana CK-150SMP. Has anyone played one, owned one, seen one?

seems a bit pricey to me if it's all laminated woods.

seems a bit pricey to me if it's all laminated woods.
That was my first thought as well, why would they make such a pretty ukulele out of laminate? But when I think about it, to my ear my $65 Makala is my best sounding ukulele. Honestly, if it just had a solid top I wouldn't hesitate. For that reason I am asking myself if I'm holding back because I don't want to pay that much for a laminate ukulele, or if it is a prestige thing and I don't want to get caught playing a laminate ukulele.

That was my first thought as well, why would they make such a pretty ukulele out of laminate? But when I think about it, to my ear my $65 Makala is my best sounding ukulele. Honestly, if it just had a solid top I wouldn't hesitate. For that reason I am asking myself if I'm holding back because I don't want to pay that much for a laminate ukulele, or if it is a prestige thing and I don't want to get caught playing a laminate ukulele.

If you can still find one then you’ll get little if any change from $300, which IMHO is not a trivial sum to risk on something with so little known about it. Mim might have one and she has a reputation for being very helpful, worth a call? Some laminates sound great and can be expensive (think Kiwaya), and this Uke sure does look nice (which is what you are paying for) but after that who knows. To me good looks are a bonus, I’m more interested in what something can do followed by price to buy and sell.

IIRC you have a Makala MK-C so I guess that you refer to that. I have one too and it’s amongst the best money that I’ve spent on a Uke; well after I fitted Martins to it, sorted the nut and fitted a bone saddle. They are plain and, for the price, they are great value.

Last edited:
Mim does have one, search on reverb. I have an Islander Acacia laminate that sounds pretty dang good...$269 good? Not sure about that, depends on what you have and what you want.

I have one; I took the bait last December. It sounds much better with Martin strings, as compared to the Aquilas it came with, but it’s rarely out of its case.

Last edited:
I have one; I took the bait last December. It sounds much better with Martin strings, as compared to the Aquilas it came with, but it’s rarely out of its case.
Thanks. I've not heard anything really good about it.

Top Bottom