NUD: Kamaka Tiki... Soprano??

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am so enchanted with my Kamaka Tiki concert, I had to snatch this up when I saw it.
Sounds fantastic - I've rarely heard a soprano with this kind of volume, bottom end, and sustain.
It is a bit banged up, but strangely no fret wear - and the finish is really good.

Here's my question: did Kamaka ever stick a Tiki on a soprano uke, or did someone just get playful here and glue one on? It barely fits on the headstock!

https://reverb.com/item/15855112-kamaka-soprano-ukulele-1969-1978-natural

Very nice! I'm speaking with 0 knowledge on this, BUT I feel like Kamaka would not cover up part of their logo. Looks like it was done afterwards.

Yep, it's why it's called a Tiki. I thought they were made in Japan and finished in Hawaii. I may be wrong. I had a Made In Japan K deluxe. Sounded really nice.

Whether glued on or original, I like it. It's bound to give your playing extra mojo. Those old Kamakas can be great. Nice that you picked a good one.

Looking at the pictures and what I remember of my Tiki Concert, it looks like an add on as the Tiki extends past the top on the head stock and the top K is worn clear to the base of the Tiki, if the Tiki were there it would have protected that section. Still very cool, I always liked Tikis, used to have one attached to the dash of my 54 Ford Coup.

Looking at the pictures and what I remember of my Tiki Concert, it looks like an add on as the Tiki extends past the top on the head stock and the top K is worn clear to the base of the Tiki, if the Tiki were there it would have protected that section. Still very cool, I always liked Tikis, used to have one attached to the dash of my 54 Ford Coup.

Right, good logic here. I wonder how someone found a loose Tiki, appears original to Kamaka and the vintage.
Perhaps fell off that Tiki concert sans Tiki posted for sale a while back. ;>)

Looking at the shape of the head and placement of the tiki, it looks like it was an after market glue on tiki. Sure would be interesting to know it's history. Even if it isn't a Tiki and just a reg. White Label concert, you got a good deal. I have a white label sop. and would like to find a concert someday. Considering some tiki's were lost or broken, it may be of worth by itself to a Kamaka collector looking for a tiki replacement. Not that I'm recommending that of course lol.

Here's what MMStan said in another thread. Stan's the man when it comes to Kamakas:
The Tiki were made about 5 years 1969 to 1974 on the concert base kamakas.. not much made
Mostly all were concerts, never heard of a soprano and I only saw a rare one. Must have been a prototype
OR some worker attached one tiki on the headstock. Some tiki were broken or damaged, they are not
Replaceable as they don't make them anymore. You got a great price if it is in good condition
I don't think they have any meaning aside that it is Hawaiian

Last edited:
Top Bottom