San Jose, CA Uke Jam

MarcG

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Marc Gancayco, I live in San Jose CA, and I'm looking for other people in my area who would like to jam on a weekly basis. I am a beginner/intermediate player who will play just about anything but has a fondness for pop, swing, and blues. I'd love to learn more hawaiian music in particular.

Best,

Marc

What part of San Jose and what kind of music? I'm in Santa Clara on the western edge of San Jose and getting to the other side anywhere near the rush hour is major pain.

-- Gary

Check the Events and Calendar Page at the San Jose Ukulele Club website. The calendar has links to the uke groups for more info. Most uke clubs meet only once a month. The San Jose club meets twice a month and also holds a jam the Sunday following a meeting. Uke groups try to pick a day to hold their meetings/jams so they don't conflict with each other. If you don't mind getting up early and driving Hwy 17 into Santa Cruz, the group called Sons of the Beach meet every Saturday. If you want to drive further, the Monterey group meets every Sunday.

Big groups are not necessarily a good thing

Check the Events and Calendar Page at the San Jose Ukulele Club website. The calendar has links to the uke groups for more info. Most uke clubs meet only once a month. The San Jose club meets twice a month and also holds a jam the Sunday following a meeting. Uke groups try to pick a day to hold their meetings/jams so they don't conflict with each other. If you don't mind getting up early and driving Hwy 17 into Santa Cruz, the group called Sons of the Beach meet every Saturday. If you want to drive further, the Monterey group meets every Sunday.

There are a number of groups in the area but the question is do they play the kind of music that you like? One local group that interested me was a Blues group that doesn't seem to exist anymore. There was also another group that used to play some Hawaiian music that also interested me but they don't seem to do so now. :( Check out the groups songbooks to see if they interest you... because you might find yourself in the same situation as me.

-- Gary

20589 Homestead Road Cupertino Odd Fellows
Fourth Wednesday of the month 6 to 9 p.m. $5 contribution + potluck
This is a Hawaiian Jam. I'm sure at first it would be challenging if you don't know the music or the songs but people are usually friendly and willing to share their books. I attend a different Hawaiian Jam but I have played with this host and found him to be welcoming. Hawaiian music is an acquired taste. Not for everyone and it comes with the culture. It's very relaxed and easy, and invokes reverence The songs often have have a deeper meaning that get lost on some Haole people, and I imagine others.

Do you have more information

20589 Homestead Road Cupertino Odd Fellows
Fourth Wednesday of the month 6 to 9 p.m. $5 contribution + potluck
This is a Hawaiian Jam. I'm sure at first it would be challenging if you don't know the music or the songs but people are usually friendly and willing to share their books. I attend a different Hawaiian Jam but I have played with this host and found him to be welcoming. Hawaiian music is an acquired taste. Not for everyone and it comes with the culture. It's very relaxed and easy, and invokes reverence The songs often have have a deeper meaning that get lost on some Haole people, and I imagine others.
If you have any more information or contacts there I'd appreciate you sharing them. I play a little bit of Hawaiian music but I'm definitely at the start of the learning curve. I do know some of what you mean about the hidden meanings like the Hawaiian Language version of Pearly Shells being about a builder violating a sacred site to build a dry dock.

Thanks,

-- Gary

Top Bottom