Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the Difference?!

Default What is the Difference?!

I own a Kala KA-P, Mahogany, (Soprano I believe)

But what is the difference between Mahogany and Koa Ukes?

Does the shape make a difference? I really dig the Pineapple shape, but is there a better shape?

What are the better brands for Ukuleles? Brands you should stay away from?

Special Strings? Any Accessories?

As I get better, I will look for better Ukes.

Thanks! Shakalohana!

I'm not too sure about the wood thing, but I'm sure someone will chime in on it. I do know that koa ukes sound distinctly Hawaiian.

The shape thing.... IIRC, pineapples are a bit more mellow than the typical figure-eight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Better brands? Well there are the K's, i.e. Kamaka, Kanilea, KoAloha, Kumalae, Kelii, etc. Then there are the custom builders, i.e. LoPrinzi, Moore Bettah, Graziano, Maui Music, etc. You really do get what you pay for.

Brands to stay away from? I'm heard that Oscar Schmidt is a no-go. I haven't really heard of other brands that are black flags.

Strings..... I like the D'Addario Pro Arte line a lot. I prefer higher tension strings, and the Pro Artes provide that tension I want. Also, they offer more sustain than most strings I've played with. I used to like the Aquila Nylguts, but they attacked more than I liked. I've tried the Kala Reds and didn't like them. Same with the Martin strings. Strings are a very objective item.

Hope that helped even in the littlest bit. I'm still a beginner, and I'm sure the experts will be able to provide more help.
    Current uke: Kanile'a K1T

Well in the end its all personal opinion. The difference between Mahogany and Koa is what the wood is, Mahogany or Koa. Shape Im not sure about but i would assume the smaller the body, the less loud it is or resonates? Kala is a good brand esp for starting out. Once you get going and feel its time to upgrade or just get that UAS like a lot of pple get here you can check out stuff like Koaloha or Kamaka. There are tons of good uke brands out there mainland ukes are the ones that sponsor UU. Strings, i like my aquila strings they are nice. But seriously in the end, its ALL personal opinion, if you think it sounds good and like it then it dont really matter what it is.

The main difference between koa and mahogany ukuleles is about 200 dollars. Another difference is the sound. Check out this video for a further explanation on tonal differences in tonewoods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKwcTcbTWM
    The body shape can make a difference in that a pineapple has a larger surface area, so theres more wood resonating.

The word "better" is misunderstood. Check out this video for look at the concept of "quality"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bf1fNZRDW0#t=06m24s
    Last edited by HoldinCoffee; 05-19-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Koa gives a brighter tone than mahogany does, generally.
    Strings are personal preference, Find one that match your uke and give you the sound you want. Aquilas, worths and D'Addarios are all popular, among others.

In my limited experience between the Kala KA-KT (Koa Tenor) and Kala KA-ASMTEC (Solid Mahogany Tenor), the Mahogany does have the darker, mellower tone, than the brighter, crisper Koa.

It's a matter of preference. I prefer mahogany, my friend prefers koa.

Well, Kala doesn't make a solid koa uke. And their koa line prices reflect that.
    Current uke: Kanile'a K1T

When you are talking about solid wood, koa is often noted as having a distinctive "bark" to it. It is a bright tone wood that is chipper sounding and does have a loud sound that shines through with a player that knows how to use that "chunka, chunk" technique, like Aldrine.

If you play mahogany, it is bright, but it gets mellower with age, and warmer. I personally love the sound of an aged mahogany instrument. You can hear that tone distinctly in vintage Martin ukuleles. That is why they have become so popular.

So, as a summary, on Koa, think crisp, rich, barking sort of sound. Mahogany, think warmer, more mellow, moreso with age.

Depending on your style of play, you might like one more than the other, but, most players have both in their collections.
    Ukulele Player is Still ONLINE.... you can find it here:

https://archive.org/details/issue30_201712
    (Ukulele Player Magazine)
    Ukulele Player Magazine STORE...
    http://www.zazzle.com/ukeplayermagazine

Think about what the top is made of too. You get a lot different sound with a spruce, cedar or redwood top. I'd call it more guitar like. Just listen to the different instruments and your ear will tell you what you want...usually one of each in my case.

South Korea (Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii)

the shape of the ukulele body I like is the standerd one..

Thread Information