Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird looking saddle groove on Cordoba 35T-CE -- Is this intentional?

Many of the manufacturers stamp a "B" or an "S" on the label for B-stock or "Seconds". So that a ukulele with noticeable flaws isn't sold for full price by an unscrupulous retailer.

Just for a giggle, you could contact Cordoba and tell them of the problem and ask if they could send you a replacement saddle.

From the photo it looks as though it is made of wood. You may want to see if you can find a bone or nubone saddle close to the size and sand it to the right size and thickness. An easy weekend project.

Have you removed the saddle to determine if the area that the piezo is sitting on is perfectly flat? I wouldn’t assume anything.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar
    Anuenue - Flame Maple Soprano
    Barron River 8 string Tenor - Black Limba and Lutz Spruce
    Beansprout Banjolele - Walnut and Pistachio

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Many of the manufacturers stamp a "B" or an "S" on the label for B-stock or "Seconds". So that a ukulele with noticeable flaws isn't sold for full price by an unscrupulous retailer.

Just for a giggle, you could contact Cordoba and tell them of the problem and ask if they could send you a replacement saddle.

From the photo it looks as though it is made of wood. You may want to see if you can find a bone or nubone saddle close to the size and sand it to the right size and thickness. An easy weekend project.
    This one is not marked as B stock in any way. In fact, in the description it specifically states "is not marked as a 2nd or B" which is technically true but is misleading. I believe it is probably an instrument that was returned to a store or the factory which is likely why it is not marked as such. Anyway, the saddle isn't the issue. It's just that the end of the groove it sits in is miscut. It actually is Tusq too. It's just black, which is why it looks like wood. I've considered contacting Cordoba or the seller, but really I'll probably just end up stressing myself out and waste time and money. Given how the uke is playing/sounding I think my best bet at this point is just to enjoy my instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    Have you removed the saddle to determine if the area that the piezo is sitting on is perfectly flat? I wouldn’t assume anything.
    Yes, I have taken the saddle out twice, inspected the surface and made sure it beds on the pickup. As far as I can tell it beds solidly from the wood on the A string all the way across the pickup. That weird angle cut starts after the pickup ends. It really is bizarre how perfectly it broke/miscut.

Anyway, last night I played the uke plugged in and unplugged. I then took the saddle off, inspected the groove some more, tried to rock the saddle around to make sure that it was bedding fully across the pickup. Then I put the saddle back on, re-tightened the strings, and played it some more plugged in to make sure that there wasn't anything finicky about getting the saddle to bed on the pickup(i.e. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have to futz around every time I change strings).

Honestly, and still to my surprise given how the groove looks, I simply can't find fault with it when it comes to sound and playability. It's feels nice to play and sounds great both plugged in and unplugged. It really is quite lovely. Yes, it still annoys me that the seller wasn't fully transparent, but at the end of the day it's a great playing and sounding instrument, especially given what I paid. I am even enjoying how it sounds with the nylguts that came on it and usually I don't care much for nylguts. It's a really nice uke. At this point I think I'm just going to stop sweating the flaw and enjoy playing it. If I discover an issue within the next 30 days I can send it back and after that if I decide the flaw annoys me I can always get it repaired. Honestly, given that I paid $300 less than the typical new street price on this, it would still be a really good deal if I spent some money getting it tweaked and repaired by a luthier. But again, despite how the groove looks I just can't find fault with this thing, so I think I'll just leave it as is and enjoy it.

Thanks for the input everyone. It really helped me clarify how I feel about this purchase. I think I'm going to enjoy having this. If that changes I'll let you all know.
    Last edited by CPG; 11-09-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Hey CPG, I may be seeing the photo incorrectly, or otherwise misapprehending the nature of the issue, but it looks to me like the saddle simply needs to be removed, switched around, and put back in the other direction (that it, it needs to be "reversed"). It seems that the angle of the saddle-piece bottom would then match up correctly with the angle of the cut-out groove in which the saddle-piece sits, plus then you'd have a more ideal point of contact where each string goes across the top of the saddle. I may be completely out in left field on this, but just thought I'd throw it out there...

Thread Information