Using iphone for video and sound possible? Mike too far away?

jnorris235

Reaction score
I was considering getting a Zoom iQ6 mike to plug into my iphone - which is on a tripod 2m away videoing me against a green screen.

Occurred to me that the mike would be too far away (because you always see singers virtually inhaling the mike).

However I didnt really want the mike in shot, so how far away could a mike be in a studio and still give good quality?

Depends on your purpose of course but ive recorded most of my videos lately with the Zoom Q8 sitting several feet away. I usually post-process the sound for EQ and level purposes but it's still very useable for ukes and flutes. I don't see why it couldn't work for voice. But again, it depends on your needs, what you mean by "good quality", and if you're willing to do anything else to it afterward

I use the IQ6 and it seems to work just fine. It has the dile for sensitivity. When I record a couple feet away I have it set to 5 out of 10 and it’s still super sensitive. It has the 90 and 120 deg settings as well. It’s a great mic for the money.

Keep trying to reply but apparently I’m blacklisted (didnt think it was that daft a question!) so trying this one last time.

Ah. Allowed back in! Thanks for the feedback. Normally use the Blue mike with pop shield on the imac and the iphone to video, but trying to be minimal and also hide the mike. Hoping to have the new mike/iphone two metres away (not feet) and wondered if that would just be a wste of money.
Like to use the green screen hence all this! Suppose I could lip sync...

I'm no expert player or singer, but all my videos in the guitar and ukulele section of this site have been recorded using the inbuilt mics on my iPad which was set up to 5 feet away. Most people have said that the resulting sound (NOT the quality of my singing or playing lol) was good in view of the way I recorded them. Depends on how professional you want the end sound to be I suppose.

In my epxerience, having a mic farther away will pick up more "room" noise. Sometimes undesirable sounds, like dogs barking, baby crying, trucks passing, loud tv in another room. This is regardless of uni-directional or omni-directional mic.

Having the mic closer to the subject being recorded usually makes it (the subject - your voice or instrument) louder than the background noise and usually sounds better.

The common phenomenon of disliking having a mic "in shot" is usually fixed by rigging it overhead somehow, yet still closer to the subject being recorded.

I've seen some videos on YouTube where they use a mic stand with an overhead boom for doing this.

It all depends how much equipment you want to have to hook up, and how many wires you want to plug in.

I've found that for my own use, having my iPhone no more than 2ft away while using it's built-in mic gives a very good balance where the ukulele is louder than any background noise, unless of course I am outside, and then there is wind noise, but I do not worry about that too much myself.

When I was 9 growing up in the projects our friend of Japanese ancestry was an older guy so I would cut his lawn, go grocery shopping and water his plants and yard so one day I come home from school and my Mom says Mr. Sato dropped off something for you...a beautiful standard Kamaka Ukulele....6 years later he left his 1948 Chevrolet Turtle Back 4 door black beauty to me Life is good! Let's Play Ukulele!

Top Bottom