Video- How to string up a string through bridge

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
I think this video might be helpful here.

I own a couple Romero Creation instruments with the many fabled string through bridge system and, yeah, looks clean and there's no chance of a slipping string snapping back and making a ding in the soundboard. With that said, I find the string change process fiddly compared to traditional tie blocks. Worse yet, often the first string jams in the hole no matter how huge a knot I tie. I use a long and thin sewing needle to dislodge the stuck string. Also, often the string doesn't appear near the sound hole after threading it through. A long pair of chopsticks comes in handy to grab the dang string and pull it up through the sound hole so it can be knotted.

Last edited:
I'm contemplating a uke that happens to have this type of bridge. If I were to get it, I would tie beads to the end of the string rather than relying just on the knot to hold it in place.

I own a couple Romero Creation instruments with the many fabled string through bridge system and, yeah, looks clean and there's no chance of a slipping string snapping back and making a ding in the soundboard. With that said, I find the string change process fiddly compared to traditional tie blocks. Worse yet, often the first string jams in the hole no matter how huge a knot I tie. I use a long and thin sewing needle to dislodge the stuck string. Also, often the string doesn't appear near the sound hole after threading it through. A long pair of chopsticks comes in handy to grab the dang string and pull it up through the sound hole so it can be knotted.

Chopsticks, great idea.

I have flat disks between the knot and the bridge plate (thanks Beau).

I love the look and the possible better tone due to increased break angle over the bridge. Changing strings takes me at least 3 times as long as a tie bridge.

Chopsticks, great idea.

I have flat disks between the knot and the bridge plate (thanks Beau).

I love the look and the possible better tone due to increased break angle over the bridge. Changing strings takes me at least 3 times as long as a tie bridge.

I use a 8" curved Hemostat clamp to grab the strings on my string throughs.

What kind of flat disks do you use? I've just been using beads.

Top Bottom