Thread: Video- How to string up a string through bridge

Default Video- How to string up a string through bridge

I think this video might be helpful here.

Thank you, Beau, this is very helpful !!

I own a couple Romero Creation instruments with the many fabled string through bridge system and, yeah, looks clean and there's no chance of a slipping string snapping back and making a ding in the soundboard. With that said, I find the string change process fiddly compared to traditional tie blocks. Worse yet, often the first string jams in the hole no matter how huge a knot I tie. I use a long and thin sewing needle to dislodge the stuck string. Also, often the string doesn't appear near the sound hole after threading it through. A long pair of chopsticks comes in handy to grab the dang string and pull it up through the sound hole so it can be knotted.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 02-22-2019 at 11:34 AM.

I'm contemplating a uke that happens to have this type of bridge. If I were to get it, I would tie beads to the end of the string rather than relying just on the knot to hold it in place.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - sinker redwood top, rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- spruce top, spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)

Thanks for that. I strung up a string-thru bridge recently. The existing G string knot was stuck. I needed to push it out with a needle, kind of a PIA. My wife had a bag of beads here, so I used those on all 4 strings. Don't worry, I used the correct G C E A lettered beads!

beads.jpg
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    I own a couple Romero Creation instruments with the many fabled string through bridge system and, yeah, looks clean and there's no chance of a slipping string snapping back and making a ding in the soundboard. With that said, I find the string change process fiddly compared to traditional tie blocks. Worse yet, often the first string jams in the hole no matter how huge a knot I tie. I use a long and thin sewing needle to dislodge the stuck string. Also, often the string doesn't appear near the sound hole after threading it through. A long pair of chopsticks comes in handy to grab the dang string and pull it up through the sound hole so it can be knotted.
    Chopsticks, great idea.

I have flat disks between the knot and the bridge plate (thanks Beau).

I love the look and the possible better tone due to increased break angle over the bridge. Changing strings takes me at least 3 times as long as a tie bridge.
    Rule Three: Anger is easy. Love is hard.

Rule 23: All Whining Must Be Done In Private.

Rule 30: If you’re gonna be stupid, you better be strong.

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

14:29044

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Chopsticks, great idea.

I have flat disks between the knot and the bridge plate (thanks Beau).

I love the look and the possible better tone due to increased break angle over the bridge. Changing strings takes me at least 3 times as long as a tie bridge.

I use a 8" curved Hemostat clamp to grab the strings on my string throughs.

What kind of flat disks do you use? I've just been using beads.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Thread Information