New Fred Shields Backpacker

mkatz

Reaction score
When I saw TobyDog's post and photos of a new Fred Shields Backpacker, I couldn't resist. I contacted Fred and ordered one in mahogany and it arrived today - 3 weeks to the day!

The craftsmanship is amazing, it sounds great, and is surprisingly loud for such a small instrument.

Curious if anyone has found a gig bag that fits the Backpacker.

Mitch
IMG_1495.jpgIMG_1498.jpgIMG_1500.jpg

Soprano scale or concert? What are the dimensions? What was the price?

Last edited:
I have a concert Backpacker and use a concert Córdoba bag.

...and welcome to the world of Fred Shields!

Last edited:
Hi Mitch,

Very pretty backbacker, and great photos. What kind of tuners does it have?
I use a bag that I bought on Amazon, it's got a little extra room on the sides but lengthwise it's perfect.

Tosnail 23 Inch Heavy Duty Ukulele Cases Ukulele Padded Bag - Great for Concert Ukulele

Beth (aka tobyDog)

Hi Mitch,

Very pretty backbacker, and great photos. What kind of tuners does it have?
I use a bag that I bought on Amazon, it's got a little extra room on the sides but lengthwise it's perfect.

Tosnail 23 Inch Heavy Duty Ukulele Cases Ukulele Padded Bag - Great for Concert Ukulele

Beth (aka tobyDog)

Thanks Beth. I have Grover friction tuners on mine.

Mitch

Welcome to the FS family. I hope we are not working Fred too much. I enjoy my cherry pineapple FS and I have the pocket size uke that is so tiny and cute. He made beautiful backpack uke. I don't know if anyone else build this kind of uke.

I have been thinking of re-homing one of my Fred Shields concert thin body uke, its a cutaway with 14th fret to the body. It is koa top, gear tuner. Very very easy to play but I have not touched it since I bought the Clara. Any one interested let me know. Sorry for mentioning this on the thread. I will keep quiet now but PM me if you are interested. :D

Last edited:
Cool! I just received my modified FS Backpacker too. I need to do a NUD/Build thread ASAP, I had Fred send me pictures all along the way. Congrats on a great instrument! I too am absolutely stunned at how much volume this little instrument puts out.

Very nice.

Top Bottom