Sawchyn Ukuleles

merlin666

Reaction score
Peter Sawchyn is a fantastic guitar and mandolin luthier, who also collects old Martin ukes. After a few prototypes and custom builds he is releasing a limited number of his new ukulele model:

Our INITIAL OFFERING will be a very Vintage Style Concert featuring lovely one piece Mahogany Tops, Beautifully bookmatched Mahogany backs, Spanish Cedar necks, Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards, vintage style planetary geared tuners and a silky satin finish.
Our goal is to make these light, bouncy and responsive just like the famous ukes from the 1920's!

https://www.facebook.com/SawchynGuitars/posts/2163050550373146

I just ordered one, and I think a couple may still be available ...

Last edited:
Cool-o.
Has he built ukes before? Any on-line images or videos?

Cool-o.
Has he built ukes before? Any on-line images or videos?

I haven't seen a completed one yet, just a custom build in progress he was working on last year. It had some gorgeous herringbone purfling. Many people here in town play his mandolins and the few he builds each year sell very fast. I tried some of his guitars and they are all light builds that sound great. He also has set up my two ukes (including an old KoAloha) and all my guitars.

Interesting. I own one of his deluxe Beaver Tail mandolas, and it's definitely a keeper. Great sound, and excellent fit/finish. The man is a perfectionist.

bratsche

Ordered mine today. Not many left now.

I corresponded with Mr. Sawchyn. Sounds like a nice build - he really seems to get it that for best sound a uke can't be built like a mini-guitar.
But he says there will be an issue with shipping that rosewood fretboard over the border to the US.
I've not heard back from him about replacing that with another wood - assuming he's got these cut and ready and won't change it up now.

And those are Canadian dollars. So be less than 600 USD. But it's African Mahogany and not Cuban as I guess the old Martins were.

Not pricey for a concert from a recognized luthier (as long as he gets the build light enough for a uke - seems mandos would be similar).
But my on-line conversion engine says $650 today.

Does the Canadian/US conversion rate swing that much?

Last edited:
They are done ... yay, I think mine may be the one at the left as I asked for it to be strung in fifths, so strings would look different than the lavas. Here is a video of the presentation:

Last edited:
I finally picked up my Sawchyn and it is beautiful. The workmanship, attention to detail, and selection of materials are incredible. It has a fairly wide nut and very comfortable neck, and is a pleasure to play. I have it set up with an Aquila 31U set for CGDA tuning, which is a new experience for me. The two high strings sound nicely crisp and punchy, but the two wound strings are quite slack and lack volume on the small Martin shape. I don't think I will use this configuration for strumming but focus on fingerstyle, possibly using the low strings for a drone effect. In a few months I will decide if I keep going with this or switch to re-entrant. Here is a pic of the fretboard, soundhole, and bridge. I will post some more pictures of the whole uke together with my other ukes for comparison in separate new thread soon.
get-photo.asp

Attachments

• 20190428_091751-01.jpg
    20190428_091751-01.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Looks lovely. I hope we hear more from him.

Top Bottom