Time to put those humidifiers to work!

I know this is an older post, but thought I'd give a report here in case there are other multi-instrument folks worrying about the frigid dry Midwest weather (minus 9 right now in St. Paul!) but tired of the futziness of the humidifiers:
I've successfully used the D'Addario Humidipaks Jerry recommended in each of my ukes this winter. These are the "Two-way" (meaning the beads will absorb moisture if RH gets too high), so no monitoring or settings required.

I experimented a little first, and found that I can manage fine without the expensive holsters: I fold the pack on itself and stick it in the sound hole between the C and the E strings, being careful that only the paper edge of the pack comes into contact with finished surfaces and curling the paper end over the strings.
On concert, tenor, and bari the pak can sit straight up, on soprano [to be continued]

Let us know how they work out for your soprano.
There is no way I could comfortably get one of the big packs in my Sopranos sound hole. So I use the small bovada packs for now in it.

There is no way I could comfortably get one of the big packs in my Sopranos sound hole. So I use the small bovada packs for now in it.

I can't believe they aren't making them for ukuleles, yet.

I fold the single D'Addario more or less in half and insert it into the soprano sound hole between the loosened center strings. Once it's mostly inside, iI spread it out inside the uke. The part sticking out the top doesn't have the humidifying material, so that doesn't matter. I wouldn't want to have the whole thing fall into the uke because removing it would be a challenge - especially inside a soprano

I haven't seen smaller Bovida paks. The ones I bought are the same size as the D'Addario.

Sorry, I was pecking away on my phone and didn't have time to finish. I've edited my note now.

Like Jerry, I fold the pak on itself and by angling and smushing (of course, put the pressure on the pak, not the wood), I get the whole thing in sans the end through the strings/sound hole. Then I fold the paper end over the strings.
It doesn't fall in or get lost, there's simply not room enough for that to happen.

Prob best to loosen the strings, but I confess to stretching them sometimes. (Me thinks Booli would not recommend this).)

Last edited:

I was told the small Bovedas made for cigars are a different humidity level - what's the rating on yours and how do you keep them from falling in?

I was told the small Bovedas made for cigars are a different humidity level - what's the rating on yours and how do you keep them from falling in?

They do make the small 8g packs in 49% RH. I only use them on my Sopranos. They fit my Ohana soprano perfectly between the C & E string, with just a little bit sticking out of the sound hole.

On my Kala Elite 1MHG-S (which is thinner) I have to put them in at a slight angle. They work for me, but I live in south FL. If I didn't run the A/C 24/7 10 months out of the year I probably wouldn't even use them. I use the regular size bags on my tenor.

I'm not sure how long they would last in a more dryer climate. But if you needed to you could use two or three at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JV27MCM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A211C28GSC458&th=1

For a uke in a gig bag, where moisture escapes more easily than in a hard case, I'm doing double duty with these 2 homemade humidifiers, one a soap dish, one a plastic film case. Both with wet sponges inside and holes drilled in the plastic. The film container easily pops between the strings, the soap dish is under the heel area in the gig bag. Refill weekly. I've have also just used a sponge in a semi-open baggie, but the soap dish is more secure. With these, the uke stays in the low 40's.

Humid2.jpg

Humid1.jpg

Top Bottom